adsl speed issues

oxygenuk

Hi this thread is about my concern about my internet connection and something outpost firewall may have done to it.  :evil3::angry5::( :(

ever since i installed outpost firewall and let it run for about 5 minutes (which is when i noticed speeds of about 16kbs while it was running and installed) i then unistalled it and didnt get any diffrences so in panic i just re installed my modem software etc about 3 times then my speed is back up to about 150kbs roughly

but my line is 2mbps and before i done anything like installed outpost firewall i was getting speeds about 210kbs

while outpost was installed it blocked some things and displayed some kind of MAC address i think what it said it blocked? i dont know if it could have been that or not but maybe you guys can fill me in on that!

iv also tried restoring my pc to an earlier time but had no success and got the same c**ppy speeds

and i can confirm it isnt my ISP(pipex) either, so what can i do about this guys please?

thanks very much in advance

ok iv checked them links and as for the q+a thing ill post the stuff u need to know.

1. What OS are you running? Examples: Windows 98, Windows XP. If you have XP make sure you have SP2 installed! Also download the p2p fix for SP2 here WINDOWS XP PRO SP2

If you have a MAC try BroadbandOptimizer

2. Who your Internet Service Provider (ISP) is, and what the advertised speed for download/upload is. PIPEX ADSL (2MBPS DOWN/256K UP)

3. What tweaking programs you already have installed, and run this test http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks.  Copy and paste result URL address in your post! I WASNT SURE WHAT TO SELECT ON THE FINAL STEP OF THAT TEST BUT I HAD A ROUGH IDEA I THINK http://www.dslreports.com/tweakr/block:4537a2b?service=dsl&speed=200&os=winXP&via=normal

4. What speed do you have against https://testmy.net and http://nitro.ucsc.edu/ also download this Tracert and Ping program (made by php) and click on check.bat.  When it's done, copy and paste the results in your post. IV DONE A SPEED TEST ELSEQWHERE AND MY DOWNLOAD SPEED IS ADVERTISED AS 80KBS DOWN AND 25KBS UP

5. Under your LAN connection - properties - general tab, uninstall all the protocols there that you do not need.  You most likely only need "Client for Microsoft Networks" and "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)."  If you share files on your home network, you also need "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks." NA

6. Open Internet Explorer and select the Tools menu, go to Internet Options, Connections tab, click the

LAN settings button, make sure nothing there is checked. DONE/CHECKED

7. Never Connect to your modem via USB ! Always connect to your modem via ethernet (NIC) and make sure you have the latest drivers for your NIC. Set your NIC duplex mode to 10mb half duplex for Cable, for DSL it depends on the ISP service unless you are using a router, if so then set it to 100mb full duplex for both Cable & DSL. If you are using a router make sure you have the latest firmware. NA

8. Power cycle your modem, unplug it for at least 30 seconds. TRIED THAT TIMES N TIMES BEFORE

9. Download, update, and do a scan with SpyBot and Ad Aware to remove any spyware DONE

10. ZoneAlarm firewall has known problems with dropping speed, I suggest to uninstall it and compare speed AINT GOT ZONEALARM

11. Install Outpost Firewall or Sygate Firewall NA(currently have sygate and tried many others)

12. Scan for viruses with your antivirus app, if you do not have one get one, AVG and Avast! are great GOT AVAST ALREADY

13. Make sure you have ALL of the latest Windows Updates YEP

14. Download and run CCleaner YEP

15. Go to VanBuren TestMy.net Cablenut settings and install Cablenut 4.08 and Vanburens cablenut settings version 7 VERY CONFUSING, UNABLE TO DO, AND I DOUBT THATLL FIX MY PROBLEM ANYWAY AS ITS A TWEAK!!

sorry about the caps but i put caps in to prevent you getting confused because the questions are not in caps.

thanks in advance