Firefox 1.5 to launch today

ROM-DOS

Firefox 1.5 to launch this week with marketing blitz

After three release candidate builds, Firefox 1.5 is expected to be made available for download this week (today, tuesday afternoon). And when it does arrive, it will be accompanied by a marketing campaign aimed at getting Firefox 1.0 users to upgrade and convincing users of other browsers to switch.

The centerpiece of the marketing blitz will be user-submitted videos of Firefox users evangelizing their favorite web browser made available at the SpreadFirefox website. It sounds kind of like Apple's "Switch" campaign all over again ("I launched Internet Explorer and my computer was all like 'beep beep beep'...") Personally, I'm not dying to watch home videos made by computer geeks around the world explaining why Firefox is the best browser available. However, the VP of products for Mozilla, Christopher Beard, feels otherwise.

"You will have real people telling you about Firefox's features--what's cool and great," said Beard. "People can create the video and upload it to the Mozilla site. The video will then be reviewed and put on our Web site, with a link from their location."

In addition to the home videos will be a 30-second commercial. The commercial will again be user-driven, as anyone will be able to film one and submit it. The best ad will be aired... somewhere. Mozilla hopes that along with would-be commercial directors, the competition will attract talent in the form of film students. I'd love to see some noteworthy directors take a shot at a Firefox commercial. (Cue Mars Blackmon saying "it's gotta be the browser!")

:haha: :haha: :haha:

[glow=red,2,300]maybe for the new version they will fix some of the more[/glow]

[glow=blue,2,300]blatant bugs in their display engine[/glow]

[glow=green,2,300]all you fireflop users know exactly wehat i'm talking about.[/glow]

[glow=purple,2,300]maybe they will even figure out how to display lines in the places the designers intended them to be.[/glow]

Firefox 1.5 will be available for free on Tuesday afternoon, U.S. Pacific Standard Time, at www.getfirefox.com and www.mozilla.com, according to the open-source group. A complete press release outlining the new features in Firefox 1.5, as well as some additional Mozilla news, will be issued at the time the new version is available.

New features in Firefox 1.5 include a better system for updating software, faster navigation using the

there is an old story about a pilot lost in the fog while trying to get to the Seattle airport. He cant see a thing as he flys through it then spots a very tall expensive building. He opens his cockpit window and yells at a figure in the window.....

"WHERE AM I????"

The man in the window yells back.....

"YOU"RE IN AN AIRPLANE"!!!

The pilot closes the window, sets a heading to 233 degrees, begins his decent and makes a perfect landing at the airport.

His co-pilot is astonded, "how did you do that???"

The pilot says, "Remember that guy I asked that question to? He gave me completely correct information that was completely useless to me, that means that building must be the Microsoft Tech Support Headquarters and from there, the airport is 233 degrees heading and 3 miles out".

tonyswhirl ~ are you implying I'm the man in the Window?  :whaa:

biker9075 ~ let us know what you think of the new version.

[i've got three browsers already (well four, but I don't use that one), but when I'm sure all the bugs are out of Firefox ~ I just might give it a shot, too.]

tonyswhirl ~ are you implying I'm the man in the Window?  :whaa:

biker9075 ~ let us know what you think of the new version.

[i've got three browsers already (well four, but I don't use that one), but when I'm sure all the bugs are out of Firefox ~ I just might give it a shot, too.]

Oh no - it was not a reply to you  - I just though it was funny and posted it - nothing to do with anyone except ms I guess -

I took some tests with the new browser version. My speeds have greatly dropped :mad2: I had Firefox RC3 and that gave me higher speeds, but I found out that I didnt even need upgrade since I had RC3 and thats the same thing as the final version.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 700 Kbps about 0.7 Mbps (tested with 748 kB)

Download Speed is:: 85 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Tue Nov 29 2005 19:08:24 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Bottom Line:: 13X faster than 56K 1MB download in 12.05 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 16.36 % of your hosts average (verizon.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-JTHRQY8ZE

with RC3 my average d/l was above 800kbps