Weird speeds

miroddinz

Hi....the speed i signed up for from my isp is 512Kbps.....my usual normal download speed is 60Kbps and upload is 20Kbps....but then one fine day when i hooked up my modem to another telephone line in my house, my download speed went up to 280Kbps and upload became 60Kbps .....it stayed that way for at least 2 months...

here is my screenshot to prove it http://maxownage.com/speed.jpg

and then a few days ago when i fixed my modem to the telephone line i used initially,....it went back to the normal speed.I tired fixing it back to the telephone line which game me the super speeds but it wont work any more

i know it isnt the speed i signed up for but its really frustrating to lose so much speed....is there any reason why the speed changed so drastically? ....could it be that my telephone line is low in quality? Is there any way to fix it? .....Oh yea i almost forgot .....i also changed my LAN card when i shifted my modem back to my initial telephone line.

Hope you guys can help thx

You do realize that 512 you signed up for isnt your actual download rate, 60 sounds about right, Im not sure how you ever got to 280 in the first place, see look heres mine.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 5602 Kbps about 5.6 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 684 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Thu Dec 1 13:46:30 MST 2005

Bottom Line:: 100X faster than 56K 1MB download in 1.5 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 116.21 % faster than the average for host (shawcable.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-M0JQFN2IC

no, he's not talking about kB, i think he means kbps. it sounds like he has his filters incorrectly set up in the house, and needs to get in touch with his isp/telco as to how he needs to set up dsl filters, explain to them how the lines are etc. if needed bring in a tech to figure it out. the problem with residential phone hookups is that inside the house you get the most screwed up rigs (wiring layout wise) that can make it difficult to figure out where to place the dsl filters. if he doesn't have dsl i misread his post completely and you can happily disregard all of the above. have a nice day.