Firefox flaw highlighted

ROM-DOS

Firefox flaw highlighted

The Mozilla Foundation may have just released its latest update to the popular Firefox browser, but some users say their patience with the software's flaws is beginning to wear thin.

One issue that has been getting attention since the Wednesday release of Firefox 1.5 is a bug that causes Mac OS X systems to use 100 percent of available processor resources in some cases, such as when scrolling in some Web-based applications (such as Google Maps) and holding down the mouse button.

The bug has been known since before the release of Firefox 1.0, but has never been fixed, critics noted. (The Mozilla project has assigned the issue bug no. 141710.)

Another specific gripe is the lack of Acid2 compliance. Acid2 is a test from the Web Standards Project (WaSP) designed to test a browser's support for W3C standards such as CSS1, HTML4 and PNG. Most browsers - including IE and Opera - admit they won't pass Acid2 for some time; for example Microsoft has said IE 7 won't pass.

Others said Firefox 1.5 introduced new glitches. Issues mentioned by users after their first few hours with Firefox 1.5 included the "reload" button disappearing, a bug with selected text, problems with cookie management, keyboard shortcuts being randomly disabled, and a Mac-specific problem with the URL window.

Firefox has had increasingly serious issues with security as its user base has exploded. Among this year's flaws was a highly dangerous one ironically leaving Windows and IE untouched while affecting Firefox and Linux. Another flaw involving IDN parsing required a patch to be rushed out. A report from Symantec revealed that nearly twice as many flaws had been discovered in Firefox as in Explorer over the first six months of this year.

This goes beyond information - it is just plain ff bashing - must be written by some ie freak

see highlights

The Mozilla Foundation may have just released its latest update to the popular Firefox browser, but some users say their patience with the software's flaws is beginning to wear thin.  where did this come from????

One issue that has been getting attention since the Wednesday release of Firefox 1.5 is a bug that causes Mac OS X systems to use 100 percent of available processor resources in some cases, such as when scrolling in some Web-based applications (such as Google Maps) and holding down the mouse button.

The bug has been known since before the release of Firefox 1.0, but has never been fixed, critics noted. (The Mozilla project has assigned the issue bug no. 141710.)

Another specific gripe is the lack of Acid2 compliance. Acid2 is a test from the Web Standards Project (WaSP) designed to test a browser's support for W3C standards such as CSS1, HTML4 and PNG. Most browsers - including IE and Opera - admit they won't pass Acid2 for some time; for example Microsoft has said IE 7 won't pass.

Others said Firefox 1.5 introduced new glitches. Issues mentioned by users after their first few hours with Firefox 1.5 included the "reload" button disappearing, a bug with selected text, problems with cookie management, keyboard shortcuts being randomly disabled, and a Mac-specific problem with the URL window.

Firefox has had increasingly serious issues with security as its user base has exploded. Among this year's flaws was a highly dangerous one ironically leaving Windows and IE untouched while affecting Firefox and Linux. Another flaw involving IDN parsing required a patch to be rushed out. A report from Symantec revealed that nearly twice as many flaws had been discovered in Firefox as in Explorer over the first six months of this year.

gimme a break

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Firefox is just a fad.

The bandwagon is not as full as it was just months ago. All it took was for FF to get popular enough before it's flaws started surfacing. Honestly, the browser has been losing momentum for quite some time now. The millions of logged downloads are only of those who have actually clicked on the download link, but not of those who've given it a try, didn't like it at all, and uninstalled it within a day.

It's a hard pill to swallow for fans of the browser, but FF is reaching for users that just aren't there anymore. This known flaw is a brutal blow for them. The users that dropped it will undoubtedly return to IE, and if they have SP2 installed (more than likely), they'll get a taste of IE7 and never return.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Firefox is just a fad.

The bandwagon is not as full as it was just months ago. All it took was for FF to get popular enough before it's flaws started surfacing. Honestly, the browser has been losing momentum for quite some time now. The millions of logged downloads are only of those who have actually clicked on the download link, but not of those who've given it a try, didn't like it at all, and uninstalled it within a day.

It's a hard pill to swallow for fans of the browser, but FF is reaching for users that just aren't there anymore. This known flaw is a brutal blow for them. The users that dropped it will undoubtedly return to IE, and if they have SP2 installed (more than likely), they'll get a taste of IE7 and never return.

lol, i still prefer firefox to IE...i already got a taste of IE7...it was pretty baddd, lol.

No one in their right mind would IE - give me an example of where IE is quicker or more powerfull the ff - I can browse 5 sites to your one and thats the name of the game.

I don't want to argue because everyone has their preference, but, IMO, IE has alway been faster, stronger, and definitely more seasoned.

By the way, you can't browse 5 sites to my 1.

I don't want to argue because everyone has their preference, but, IMO, IE has alway been faster, stronger, and definitely more seasoned.

By the way, you can't browse 5 sites to my 1.  :D

I've had the opposite experience.  FF has always been faster than IE on download tests.  Could be a function of the machine, but who knows?

ALSO since the firefox 1.5 release my download transfers on files has been increased by more that 50kB/sec, sometimes it is 100kB/sec faster than 1.07.  Firefox is way faster, you can tweak the browser and it looks a lot more better than IE since you have plenty of extensions, themes and all the plugins neccessary.  Why would you ever want to go back to IE, so you can enjoy beautiful pop-ups left and right?