Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
xtingwish

Test Not Accurate

Recommended Posts

http://www.xtingwish.net/uploads/files/downloadspeed.JPG

  Why is it that I can get actual download speeds of 20-25Mbps but the speed test says I only get around 6-9Mbps?  Could my ISP be limiting bandwidth on some ports but not others?

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 6689 Kbps about 6.7 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 817 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Fri Dec 02 2005 13:31:29 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time)

Bottom Line:: 119X faster than 56K 1MB download in 1.25 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 32.64 % faster than the average for host (midco.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-KQCNTWZ5Y

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats still an awesome speed, and much faster than your host average.  Let me look around a minute I am at work and the boss is comming. Have you tested at any other sites? Our tests are pretty accurate. :) Welcome to the site, hope you like it and tell your friends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've tested at quite a few places but they all give me the same average speed of 6-9Mbps.  Midco has two different packages, MidcoNet (Capped at 8Mbps) and MidcoNet Max (Uncapped Download), and I'd be willing to bet most Midco customers go for the standard MidcoNet package.  Thanks for the welcome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am thinking you are getting the speed ratings terminology mixed up. I wish I could sit down for a good spell and type but I am so busy and trying to get work done to go out of town. When you say you dl at 20-25Mbps what are you downloading and what are you downloading with. Web Browser, Limewire, BT? As far as an isp limiting ports usually it is few and far between, they generally only limit certain ports related to file sharing programs, but that doesnt even happen real often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My download with Microsoft.com starts off at 2400+ kB/s and steadily declines to around 800kB/s and stays steady.

Here is my log for the Tracert and Ping program...

The current date is: Fri 12/02/2005

The current time is: 14:00:54.25

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

Pinging testmy.net [67.18.179.85] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 67.18.179.85: bytes=32 time=59ms TTL=51

Reply from 67.18.179.85: bytes=32 time=54ms TTL=51

Reply from 67.18.179.85: bytes=32 time=59ms TTL=51

Reply from 67.18.179.85: bytes=32 time=54ms TTL=51

Ping statistics for 67.18.179.85:

    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

    Minimum = 54ms, Maximum = 59ms, Average = 56ms

Ping Complete.

Tracing route to testmy.net [67.18.179.85]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

  1    11 ms    8 ms    9 ms  10.12.80.1

  2    12 ms    11 ms    10 ms  ubr2-he-lan-gfk.midco.net [24.220.2.229]

  3    19 ms    23 ms    22 ms  24.220.1.44

  4    25 ms    40 ms    30 ms  24.220.1.2

  5    26 ms    23 ms    26 ms  cust93.frame2.midco.net [24.220.1.93]

  6    28 ms    26 ms    38 ms  12.125.72.21

  7    59 ms    56 ms    58 ms  tbr1-p010102.sl9mo.ip.att.net [12.122.82.18]

  8    62 ms    53 ms    53 ms  tbr2-cl6.dlstx.ip.att.net [12.122.10.90]

  9    52 ms    52 ms    51 ms  12.122.82.45

10    52 ms    52 ms    56 ms  12.119.136.14

11    57 ms    54 ms    63 ms  vl31.dsr02.dllstx3.theplanet.com [70.85.127.30]

12    55 ms    55 ms    58 ms  vl42.dsr02.dllstx4.theplanet.com [70.85.127.91]

13    73 ms    57 ms    59 ms  gi1-0-1.car17.dllstx4.theplanet.com [67.18.116.69]

14    57 ms    58 ms    56 ms  85.67-18-179.reverse.theplanet.com [67.18.179.85]

Trace complete.

  I just don't understand why I can download with Newsleecher at 20-25Mb/s but the second I switch to a browser it goes down to 6-8Mb/s.  My ISP doesn't specify a speed with the MidcoNet Max package, just that it uncaps your down bandwidth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and there we have the answer. it appears that the 2400+ is a burst at the beginning of the download, with the speed declining towards the 800 after a time, averaging out to a value that matches your test result.

now, that news server you're dling from, would that happen to be run by your isp? in that case it would explain why you run into the speedwall for external connections but unthrottled for connections inside your isp's network. (transferring data costs the isp money, so if you dl from external sites they have to pay. so they might not be capping the modem, but the connection...) but that's all just guesstimation. call their tech support and find out exactly what the deal is. either way it looks like some tweaking is in order for your connection, since you don't even reach the 8 down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After running the TCPOptimizer program my testmy.net Speed Test increased.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 14725 Kbps about 14.7 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1797 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Fri Dec 02 2005 14:52:01 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time)

Bottom Line:: 263X faster than 56K 1MB download in 0.57 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 180.64 % faster than the average for host (midco.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-AQZS8W9EO

  Still not at my full speed, though it may have to do with time of testing as I've since brought it up to 16.6Mb/s https://testmy.net/stats/id-PE8674DIZ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...