frequent disconnects

Razberry

:shock:

Ok this is weird... I keep getting disconnected in the middle of chats or just webbrowsing but all the modem lights show that Im online. Wild blue help desk says that my modem is responding n that its online. but the fact remains Im offline.

messnger wont connect, email wont connect, no browsing with any browser. chat or video chat wont connect etc..etc..

Ive run webroot...ad-aware..ani-viruse..xsoft..pc bug doctor.. n on to of that cleared n un installed n deleted over 45 gigs of stuff off of my C drive. So Im pretty sure there is nothing malignant on my com. I have went in n unchecked the box on my ethernet card that allows it to go to sleep. So Im pretty stumped now... Any Ideas?

the only think I can even think of is bad modem maybe. everything else is checking out ok! Please! Any ideas will be appreciated!  :icon_pale:

Are u using a router (model # and manufacturer) .  What are the settings of your cable modem set to?  Open your cable modem web page and what is your upstream and downstream power settings?

Im not using any router at all... I dont know of any modem web page? I guess Im just stupid but I dont know how to check the upstream or downstram settings for wildblue.... Its sattelitte modem not cable..

:cry:

nope didnt work.

keep losing connectivity.....this just really stinks. I just cant figure this out,two weeks of this so far, I usually either gotta depower everything,(modem,computer) or at least the modem. Or wait for ten to 30 minutes for connectivety to return.

Something has gotta give.

well gee ...if I could get Cable out here I would....DUH! but guess what I cant!

Im real happy to have Wildblue instead of dead slow Dial up or dead slow Direc Way.

But thank you for your Wisdom n thanks be to the Moon for bouncing my signals for me. :angry5::D

Oh and Wild Blue is gracious enough to send me a new Modem and give me TEN days credit for my hassles. Get that from a cable company.

• 3 weeks later...

Try typing 192.168.100.1 inro your browers address bar and this might open your modems web page.

As far as I know there is no user interface to the wildblue modem - some ku-band users of the same modem report that they can telnet into their modem if they know the username/password, but as far as I know this ability is disabled in the modems supplied for the wildblue service. Installers and wildblue tech support can look up information on power levels, signal quality, etc. from their end however.

If I had to call tech support to check my signal strength, I wouldn't be happy.

Agreed that it would be even neater to be able to see your signal strength and power level stats, etc... I like as much information as possible. In an ideal world all the info would be at every user's fingertips 24/7 including maintenance and gateway/noc status information, etc.  On the other hand, how often do you really need to do this?

If there is a problem, unless you're a certified installer you're not allowed to peak your own dish and you wouldn't have replacement parts without calling anyway even if you did suspect a part failure based on this information, and if you are a certified installer, you can access the same signal strength info that tech support can access.

Please forgive me if this sounds like a real stupid question, but how is your modem connected to your computer.  Does it connect to your NIC in the back of your computer via an RJ45? 

Your Friend,

compuworm

I don't know the specifics, but I know it's connected through an ethernet cable.

Agreed that it would be even neater to be able to see your signal strength and power level stats, etc... I like as much information as possible. In an ideal world all the info would be at every user's fingertips 24/7 including maintenance and gateway/noc status information, etc.  On the other hand, how often do you really need to do this?

If there is a problem, unless you're a certified installer you're not allowed to peak your own dish and you wouldn't have replacement parts without calling anyway even if you did suspect a part failure based on this information, and if you are a certified installer, you can access the same signal strength info that tech support can access.

Peaking your own dish isn't super tough, I just did it not too long ago... And if the dish went out during a storm, I would like to monitor it's signal so I know when it comes back.