Wildly fluctuating speeds - is this normal?

saskojec

I have Comcast Cable Internet.  One minuteI get speeds of around 2200 kbps.  The next minute, I get 234 kbps (or less -- as low as 50), as you can see from the following:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 234 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 29 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Sun Dec 11 2005 09:42:12 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Bottom Line:: 4X faster than 56K 1MB download in 35.31 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 5 % of your hosts average (comcast.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-0GHUAEZM4

I've run virus software -- Norton and AVG -- nothing.  I've run a number of spyware programs -- adaware, ms spyware, spyware cleaner.  Nothing.  I've run cccleaner.  I've defragmented.

I tried turning off the computer and modem, waiting a minute, and then retrying, and then helped, but only momentarily.

Comcast and a computer tech said the signal is good.  The tech here said it might be the ethernet, so I replaced that -- the problem remains.  He said the next step would be to reformat the drive, and if that didn't work, then to replace the motherboard.  Does this make sense?  Any ideas?  Thanks very much.

Sheila 

if you get the speeds, it doesn't look like there is something wrong on your end. read the 2 links in my sig, post all the info, once when you're fast, once when you're slow. you mayu be experiencing slowdowns due to heavy traffic on your providers net. and if the tech asks you to reformat the drive again, ask for a supervisor. it sounds like a pile of stinking bs to me.

This may seem like an obvious question but have you done any tweaking to your system specifically for your TCP/IP connections?  Are u behind a router, do you have the latest firmware?  Are you using Vanburen's Cablenut settings with the Cablenut program? 

Sincerely,

compuworm

P.S.  Resopalrabotnick,. is absolutely correct this sounds like a bunch of BS to me DO NOT REFORMAT.

Thanks, resopalrabotnick.  I followed your steps.  The only one I couldn't complete was installing VanBuren cablenut settings version 7.  When I unzip it, I don't know what to do with the files, because I don't see a file with the .exe extension. How do I install it?  Thanks. 

And compuworm, your questions are not obvious, at least to me -- I haven't done any tweaking for my TCP/IP connections.  How would I go about doing that?  In further response, I'm not behind a router and am not sure what firmware is.

Thank you both for your help.  Can't tell you how much I appreciate it.   

If you downloaded the cablenut program you then use Vanburen's files to load into the cablenut program.  So if you know what your download/upload speeds your ISP is providing then select the Vanburen ccs file that is a match to what your ISP provides.  If u are not behind a router no further discussion is needed for that topic further. 

first step open the Cablenut Program (exe).

Second step, go to file menu and select, "Open Custom Setttings File".

Third step, browse to where u downloaded the Vanburen Cablenut settings and load the ccs file that matches what your ISP offers you now.

Forth step, once you select the file Click the, "Open", button of the Open dialog box.

Fifth step, once the values appear in the cablenut program (Manual Tweak Screen) click the, "Save to Registry". button in the lower righer hand corner of the program.

There u  did it.  You now improved your TCP/IP connections.

looks like it should be ok on your end. if powercycling the modem helps it could be a problem with the modem, more likely it is a problem on their network. if the network is logjammed with traffic your speeds will drop. like the timed out pings in the ping and traceroute when slower. call tech support, if they tell you the problem is on your side, ask for a supervisor. somebody should be able to either have somebody replace the modem (but i don't think that is the problem) or just admit that they are having general speed issues. if that is the case then ask for a credit. be nice, otherwise there's no chance of a credit at all.

finding out that they have a general issue won't help you, but at least you will know that you can stop troubleshooting your system.

btw, have you checked for adware/spyware/virii/trojans and other baddies?

A good spyware program to start with is, "Spybot Search & Destroy", is absolutely free. 

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Also, another good freeware is CCleaner (love it)

http://www.ccleaner.com

You can also download, "XoftSpy", this is not a freeware and the program only allows for scans but it will show if there are any problems such as Trojans on your system.  It found the Hook.dll Trojan for me and I used Spybot to get rid of it. 

http://www.paretologic.com/xoftspy/lp/13/

I hope I have helped.

Your Friend,

compuworm

Yes, I've run anti-virus software - AVG & Norton -- as well as spyware -- Adaware and Spybot -- and I just ran xoftspy.  Found a few files containing spyware, removed them, and the problem remains. 

I'm going to take your advice and call Comcast.  You've both been of enormous help and I really appreciate it.  :)

Thanks, compuworm.  I typed that number into my browser and got the following:

Teryaon

PC Connectivity:

USB: Not Connected

Ethernet: 100 BaseT Full Duplex

USB Vendor ID: 06 cc

MAC Address: 00-E0-6F-43-9B-BE

Software Model: TJ715x

Cable Signal: Ready

Tuning: Complete

Ranging: Complete

Data Service: Ready

Connecting: Complete

Configuring: Complete

Registering: Complete

Current state: Operational

Highest State Obtained: Operational

It doesn't appear to list the upload and download levels.  Thanks.  :-) 

You have a NIC to which your Modem is connected.  You need to find out if this is set to 10 full duplex or 100 full duplex.  Press and hold down the, " Alt" key and double click your, My Computer icon.  This should bring up the Device Manager Window.  Look at the devices listed and click on the plus sign next to the Network Adapter.  This should show you your network Card.  Double click on this device and this should open your NIC window.   

Click the Advance tap and select, Media Type and the value should be shown.  If it is set at 100Base TX full duplex try changing the setting to 10baseT full duplex.  Click, OK and restart your computer and power cycle your modem.  Then try your speed test again and post.

Sincerely,

compuworm

Compuworm:  I did as you suggested and changed the setting to 10 base full duplex.  Below is the result I got.  Right before I made the change, I was getting 473 Kbps.  What do you think?  Thanks. 

Speed Test Results

Your connection is: 164 Kbps      (about 0.2 Mbps)

You downloaded at: 20 kB/s

Your TRuSPEED: ^info^ 175 Kbps :: 21 kB/s (7% overhead factored)

Bottom Line: You are running: 3 times faster than 56K and can download 1 megabyte in 51.2 second(s)

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 3.5 % of your hosts average (comcast.net)

Reapplied the cablenut settings and got the following:

Your connection is: 164 Kbps      (about 0.2 Mbps)

You downloaded at: 20 kB/s

Your TRuSPEED: ^info^ 175 Kbps :: 21 kB/s (7% overhead factored)

Bottom Line: You are running: 3 times faster than 56K and can download 1 megabyte in 51.2 second(s)

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 3.5 % of your hosts average (comcast.net)

Are you recommending advanced windowscare?  Thanks.

What ccs file did you apply to the cablenut program?  OK lets try another program go to the link below and download this program:

https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Make sure you open the cablenut program and click the, Delete Cablenut Tweaks", button.  Then hit the, Exit button. 

Now open the SG TCP Optimizer program and  select all that I have selected according to the image I have attached for you.  Make sure you click the, Apply Changes button.  Restart your computer and again post speed settings. 

Hi, compuworm.  Thanks for your message.  You asked what ccs file I applied to the cablenut program.  It was 4000/384.

Regarding the speedguide program, I followed your instructions and got the following result, which is somewhat better:

Connection is:: 689 Kbps about 0.7 Mbps (tested with 748 kB)

Download Speed is:: 84 kB/s

Test Time:: Wed Dec 14 2005 20:28:48 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Bottom Line:: 12X faster than 56K 1MB download in 12.19 sec

Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 14.71 % of your hosts average (comcast.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-LGAE6MQKU

Are your speeds still fluctuating.  I believe we need is to contact Comcast and tell them you need a line modulation.  I feel there is little more I can do to help!  Have you had any contact with Comcast regarding your problems. Have you run the Spybot program I listed earlier?  Also what kinds of speeds have you been seeing before posting?  I believe your suppose to be getting 6000Kbps down.

P.S. Go to the below links and post results:

http://nitro.ucsc.edu/

Compuworm

You're right.  Comcast advertises 4,000 to 8,000.  My speeds aren't really fluctuating any more.  They're pretty consistently low, like the last one I sent you and the test results below, per your request.  I did run Spybot -- nothing.  And I did call Comcast, before we started all this.  They said the problem was on my end, probably my Norton Security Center, but I uninstalled that and still had the problem.  I'm thinking that you're right -- there's littlemore to do other than to call Comcast.  But I want you to know how much I appreciate your help.  I've learned a lot from you in this trouble shooting process and am very grateful.   

TCP/Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool v5.3.3d

click START to begin

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Done

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 359.33Kb/s

running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 96.85kb/s

Your PC is connected to a Cable/DSL modem

Information: Other network traffic is congesting the link

Compuworm:  I can't believe it!  I'm getting speeds of more than 6 M now!  (See below.)  That's the highest it's ever been!.  :D  Hopefully this isn't a fluke, but in any event I want to thank you SO MUCH for your expert advice!  You've been terrific!  I'm thrilled.

Connection is:: 6175 Kbps about 6.2 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Download Speed is:: 754 kB/s

Test Time:: Thu Dec 15 2005 10:11:40 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Bottom Line:: 110X faster than 56K 1MB download in 1.36 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 31.83 % faster than the average for host (comcast.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-6C4LSDNOF

I hope it lasts.  I am so glad I was of some minor assistance to you.  You where very patient and understanding in bring a conclusion to your problems.  Remember, I am still here for you if you need anything else.  I have one last question, did you leave your NIC card set to 10Bast T full duplex or revert back to the 100bast full duplex? 

Your Friend,

compuworm

P.S.  OK, I lied I have another question.  The SG TCP Optimizer program you have was set I believe to 4000Kbps since your are getting 6000 Kbps from Comcast go ahead and change the setting to 6000Kbps instead of 4000Kbps and reboot.

P.P.S. Boy I am such a pain aren't I.  Listen can you go to the link below and run the test.  Hit the, "Start",  button. When done hit the, "Results", button.  Then fill out the, Service (comcast), Speed (6000), Operatiing System( XP) and Connection (leave at Normal) fields.  Then click the, "Recommend", button.  Please cut and paste the result here, pleae thanks.  You see mine is below.

.1. Your Tweakable Settings:

Receive Window (RWIN): 513920

Window Scaling: 3

Path MTU Discovery: ON

RFC1323 Window Scaling: ON

RFC1323 Time Stamping: OFF

Selective Acks: ON

MSS requested: 1460

TTL: unknown

TTL remaining: 50

2. Test 131401 byte download

Actual data bytes sent: 131401

Actual data packets: 91

Max packet sent (MTU): 1500

Max packet recd (MTU): 1500

Retransmitted data packets: 0

sacks you sent: 0

pushed data pkts: 19

data transmit time: 0.691 secs

our max idletime: 1817.6 ms

transfer rate: 50644 bytes/sec

transfer rate: 405 kbits/sec

This is not a speed test!

transfer efficiency: 100%

I switched the NIC Card back from 10 to Automatic. I just did as you suggested and changed the Optimizer function from 4000 to 6000.  Also, here are the test results you requested.  Thanks, compuworm.

1. Your Tweakable Settings:

Receive Window (RWIN): 256960

Window Scaling: 2

Path MTU Discovery: ON

RFC1323 Window Scaling: ON

RFC1323 Time Stamping: OFF

Selective Acks: ON

MSS requested: 1460

TTL: unknown

TTL remaining: 48

2. Test 67161 byte download

Actual data bytes sent: 67161

Actual data packets: 47

Max packet sent (MTU): 1500

Max packet recd (MTU): 1500

Retransmitted data packets: 0

sacks you sent: 0

pushed data pkts: 8

data transmit time: 0.187 secs

our max idletime: 1297.1 ms

transfer rate: 43954 bytes/sec

transfer rate: 351 kbits/sec

This is not a speed test!

transfer efficiency: 100%

3. ICMP (ping) check

Target unpingable

Notes and recommendations:

Choose RWIN between 56940 and 150380 (FAQ #586)

download/use DRTCP .. (FAQ #578)

Read the tweak FAQ

Good data stream (no/few rexmits)

1 second+ stall detected (FAQ #1606)

Become pingable

if you need basic packet loss tests done

Great this looks good.  Now one more thing we need to adjust your TCP Receive Window in the SG TCP Optimizer program to read 513920 (see attachment).  Reboot and post speed test results.

Thanks,

compuworm

P.S. Make sure you check the, "Modify All Network Adapters", checkbox before you hit the, "Apply Changes", button.  I forgot that one in the JPG (picture).  Also, make sure you power cycle your modem with every change, forgot to mention that to in other posts!

Just wondering? I'm assuming your on a cable modem...Have you also checked the signal for the modem?  I know when I had OOL, if the signals dropped too low(or too high if you have a booster), it will have a negative effect on your speeds...

Is your modem behind more than 1 splitter?  Is the splitter old?  A friend of mine has a bad spliiter that was causing him all sorts of trouble...He swapped it will a 2.4ghz splitter, and all his problems went away..

I can't remember what address you put in the browser to check signal strengths...What kind of modem is it?