If you use WinMX and have LinkSys Wireless-G Router please help...

wyantm06

Ok I am trying to make it so I have a Primary Connection on WinMX, because right now I am set to Secondary Connection. Well I have the LinkSys Wireless-G Router and am wondering how do I open ports and what ports do I open for WinMX? Any help would be AWESOME! Thank you...

the thread being about getting winmx running i think makes it about sharing copyright protected materials, unless you are one of the few that believe that all people use p2p networks for is to distribute shareware and open source software. with the terabytes shoveled over p2p every minute being all share/opensource stuff, it's surprising linux and co don't have more market share, since everyone seems to have everything ever coded for it twice.

Ok here is what you do - you have to log on to your router as the admin.

1. First of all go to -->Start -->Run and type the word command to get a DOS prompt.

2. Type ipconfig and find out the first two sets of # for your IP address mine is 192.168.x.x

3. Go to internet explorer and key in http://192.168.1.1 (use YOUR first two IP # if your IP is 192.64.x.x. then you key in http://192.164.1.1 etc) if this works it will prompt you for a user name and pass the key thing is enter 1.1 as the last 2 numbers.

4. For linksys routers the username=admin & password=admin

5. If you logged in correctly you will get the Linksys Router admin page.

6. Click the "Advanced" tab

7. Go to the Forwarding TAB

8. Change the top two IP #'s to forward to a # between 1-255 (try something in between like 129 & 130). If you do this right and apply it will say "success"

10. Once you have changed the IP/port so that they forward you should be able to establish primary connection.

Also: if that dont work. Go to WinMX settings and change the PORT #'s

1. Change "Incoming TCP connections" to "Listen to port 8080 for connections" (8080 is # for example)

2. Change "In/Out UDP packets" port # to "Send and Recieve UDP datagrams on port 13" (13 is an example of a port that most people/networks dont utilize.

3. Disconnect WinMx and set Primary Connection (it should let you now) it takes a minute to get a green light.

Long Live Winmx

-Paulieshere2 (master of all things WinMX).

• 2 weeks later...

Ok here is what you do - you have to log on to your router as the admin.

1. First of all go to -->Start -->Run and type the word command to get a DOS prompt.

2. Type ipconfig and find out the first two sets of # for your IP address mine is 192.168.x.x

3. Go to internet explorer and key in http://192.168.1.1 (use YOUR first two IP # if your IP is 192.64.x.x. then you key in http://192.164.1.1 etc) if this works it will prompt you for a user name and pass the key thing is enter 1.1 as the last 2 numbers.

4. For linksys routers the username=admin & password=admin

5. If you logged in correctly you will get the Linksys Router admin page.

6. Click the "Advanced" tab

7. Go to the Forwarding TAB

8. Change the top two IP #'s to forward to a # between 1-255 (try something in between like 129 & 130). If you do this right and apply it will say "success"

10. Once you have changed the IP/port so that they forward you should be able to establish primary connection.

Also: if that dont work. Go to WinMX settings and change the PORT #'s

1. Change "Incoming TCP connections" to "Listen to port 8080 for connections" (8080 is # for example)

2. Change "In/Out UDP packets" port # to "Send and Recieve UDP datagrams on port 13" (13 is an example of a port that most people/networks dont utilize.

3. Disconnect WinMx and set Primary Connection (it should let you now) it takes a minute to get a green light.

Long Live Winmx

-Paulieshere2 (master of all things WinMX).

I got it set to a Primary Connection. But now barely any files come up when searching and like 2 chat rooms load when I search for them. What gives?

There was a patch for WinMX put out not too long ago and I definitely remember reading about it here within testmy. Here's a copy of what came along with the patch:

A new patch that allows you to connect as primary or secondary has been released. Thanks to KM and Darc for this event.

I believe the recording industry will find the WinMX community to be more resilient and far more difficult to remove than they expected.

Instructions to use updated host file:

1. Unzip the file

2. Put the extracted hosts file into this folder, overwriting the old one - C:windowssystem32driversetc

***For Win98/Me users file location is C:windows

3. Restart WinMX

And in the immortal words of Mr. Garrison from Southpark, RIAA u diiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie!!!!!!

No need to try to alternate between the two manually. This uses both peer caches used by the original 2 files.

Thanks are in order for Thanks to Afaik, Sabre, Ranma, and Pip for all their hard work on this!

And for KM.

I am sure there are others that thanks is due.......

That is what is in the zip file I acquired and have WinMX up and running and see well over 1000 chat rooms. So if you need the file PM me, because I don't remember where I DL it from.

TheHalf

• 1 month later...

If you are like I am and are lacking in the "technical skills" department, but at the same time, miss using WinMX, there is a quick, easy and free solution it is called MXPIE. There is no spyware or anything else bundled with it. For those a little more savvy and courageous, there is even a manual option.

So come on back to WinMX, and download to your hearts content. Thanks to these updates, not even the power of the RIAA can stop a network.

IF you have downloaded WinMX and still cannot connect, you can even get personalized realtime help. Just go to this link WinMX Channels Copy the Room name appropriate for your Language and paste it into your WinMX chat screen, then press the Join Button. This works on version 3.53 and up even if you are not connected. It allows you to join into chatrooms set up for you to get immediate help.

Everything you need at the MXPIE Website Free and Spyware free.

I have also found a site for Computer problem that is nice, prompt and VERY helpful. If there is a problem you need an answer to, they can help.

Realtime help available for WinMX 3.53 users having trouble getting connected. Go to WinMX Channels.