Upload Hell

ArchMage

i have cable internet access at home 4Mb down 384Kb up.  i generally connect around 4.8Mb down and 440Kb up.  4 days ago i noticed i was having issues with my upstream.  my upstream now comes in at a whoppin 5Kb!!  when i bypass the router i go back to full speed.  ive called dlink and they ran me though some tests.  they think its a faulty router covered under warranty.  i decided to go by another router and same damn thing.  again i called dlink and they sent me a list of links to check and get some additional anti-virus progs that should help.  the tech said i must have one of the following bugs....  W32.Blaster Worm, W32/Lovsan.worm, W32/Nachi.worm.  i thought that may be the case because the following side effects i have all of them..  The router seems to reboot consistently, The router takes a lot of time to respond, Internet transfer rates are down, Consistent wireless disconnections (wireless routers only).

i have now ran UPDATED tests of AVG 7.1, avast, McAfee Stinger 2.5.9, Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, and Trend Micro SysClean.  all results came back negative.

so my question is what the hell is wrong with my connection via router to my cable modem??  why do i get a nonexistant upstream connection and why cant anyone help me??  i hope someone out there is more knowledgeable than me cause im stuck.. any help would be desperately appreciated.

try again directly connecting the internet modem to your computer (via USB or Ethernet) and see whether you get the same slow speeds.. If you get high speeds by connecting it directly, before you call them, change some of the cables connecting the modem to router and router to client pc's.. It may be faulty wires, but it could just as well be a faulty router.. Good luck ;)

Have you tried switching connecting cables? That's rarely it but that's the last reason I can think of why your internet behaves that way.. Since the router worked and everything was fine before and you still are covered by warranty, best thing is to return the router for repair.. Maybe someone from the forum can think of other reasons for this unusual situation :(

ok, the ethernet you use to connect direct to the modem seems to be ok. use that one to connect the router to the modem.

before you do that, test other cables by direct connecting to the modem with them and find another that doesn't slow you down.

use that to connect just your comp to the router. now test if you get full speed  if not, you are now sure the cables are not the problem.

if you have more than one comp connected, make sure the others are not running any connections while you test speeds. (those illegal filesharing things will happily steal all your upstream.)

i have tested my cables by bypassing the router.  when i do so i get full speed.  the issue has to be somewhere in the router, least thats my tech viewpoint.  the other desktop in the network connects wirelessly and was idle at the desktop and my laptop wasnt even on.  there werent any prog running on either desktop to use bandwidth (that i know of lol).  after my careful scans my pc is clean.  hmm.. everyone ive mentioned this problem to is just as confused as me.  least ive done everything that was mentioned to me in these posts and what i was told by others.  least i know what im doin and am not being a total n00b.  i know enough bout pc's that this should be cake, but when everyone else says same things ive tried i wonder just what is really wrong.

well i cant find other wireless networks in my range so i dont think its that.. and i couldnt hit the nearest house if i threw a baseball at it and ive i pitched up till high school so im not a sissy lol.  as for the router model and isp.. dlink di-624 and adelphia respectively