is my connection good??? if not plz help

oirdec88

OK, che-check it.

1. disconnect USB

2. connect ethernet

3. reset modem/gateway

4. from command prompt, type netsh winsock reset catalog and hit enter

5. exit the command prompt and restart your PC.

6. check/renew IP

You can always plug the USB back in later if it don't work.  But trust me, ethernet speeds will always exceed those over USB.  It's in the technology.  You want speed, it's ethernet you need!

If that doesn't work, type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar of your web browser, and look in there.  Try looking under Setup/Configuration....I'm thinking that maybe it's possible that ethernet connection is disabled  :?:  Are there other ethernet ports on the gateway-majigger?

Have you been able to use ethernet to connect your computer to another device, like a router or a different modem?  If so, I would be calling your ISP and asking whats up with that gateway.  You're probably due for a new one, unless something needs to be activated on their end.

If you are serious about going ethernet, you should be able to tell your ISP that it's not practical for you to use USB (you don't have any free ports, you want to hook up a router, etc.), and they should be obligated to resolve that.  I would just be sure before calling that you can connect via ethernet to something else, otherwise they may tell you that it is your NIC.

thanx for all ur help fallowearth, i called my ISP and they said it was something wrong with the modem not my pc. the ethernet light wasnt suppose to be on all the time like that. so they r gonna send out another modem, and i will see how that works

well thank you, and everyone that helped me on this :P