Motherboard or PSU failure

Scroto

Second opinions wanted  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Second opinions wanted

• PSU Failure
    • MotherBoard Failure

Ok, here is the story!

Woke up, turned the machine on, checked emails, phone rang. So i got up to answer it quick, pushed in my chair, the chair bumped the front of the tower slightly. The machine just shut down like the power plug was pulled out. I didnt think much of it at the time because i figured that i had bumped the power button on the front and it shut down..

So i come back a few minutes later and try to turn the machine on and nothing at all happens ( like its unplugged ) wont boot to bios or anything.

First I thought powersupply went booooom, but then after chatting with a tech friend, he had me pull the cover and watch the fans while removing the power cord and reinstalling it...he said to watch to see if the fans spin, which they did for about 1 second. So he tells me that means the power supply is working and most likely my mobo bios is wasted. PSU could still be fried and have enough to spin the fan. Also, no, the fans dont spin or LED lights of any kind when the power button is pushed.

Second opinions wanted cuz i dont wanna waste $$$ on a mobo and then have it be the psu!

Only upgrades to the unit are... memory, pentium 4 processor and heat sink, Replacement hard drive, dvd writer..otherwise its bone stock..

The unit is an emachine model T2792

Motherboard is ImperialGV manufactured by TriGem

International

Form Factor:  Micro ATX 

CPU Socket/Slot Type:  mPGA478 

Chipset:  Intel 845GV 

RAM Type:  DDR PC2700 DIMM 

Number of RAM Slots:  2 

Total RAM Capacity:  2048 MB

RAM Stick Size Limit:  1024 MB 

Front Side Bus Speed:  400/533 MHz 

PCI Slots:  3 

EIDE Headers:  2 

Onboard Video:  Intel Extreme Graphics 3D 845GV AGP 

Onboard Audio:  RealTek ALC650 (AC 97 2.2)

Hi,

If you say your pc turns on and shuts in bout a second it could be turning off in protection mode, check your processor fan, if it wont go on when you turn on pc the computer enters in protection mode and shuts down, check for clogged fans and heatsinks due to dust.

In the other side if it does absolutly nothing chances you have a bad PSU.

Hi,

If you say your pc turns on and shuts in bout a second it could be turning off in protection mode, check your processor fan, if it wont go on when you turn on pc the computer enters in protection mode and shuts down, check for clogged fans and heatsinks due to dust.

In the other side if it does absolutly nothing chances you have a bad PSU.

As stated in my first post, only the fans spin when the power cord is removed and reinserted. (some system check thing i guess) Nothing at all happens when the power button is pushed, it dont post, no boot, no led lights...nothing.

ok, open da box, and make sure all the cards are well seated, also ram and cpu. check all cable connections. unplug and reseat everything.

since you say it happened when you bumped it, you may have knocked something loose. also see if the psu has a fuse you can access. check that.

done, done, done and done...first thing i thought of..although, I will have to check on said fuse, will post back tomarrow after looking!

Thanks for the reply! :D

I've had bad power supplies that will almost boot...(go all the way past bios, then crap out before windows loads).  Also caused mb to make some funky noises..The fans spun, but pc would not boot into windows..There was actually a blow fuse in the power supply, but fans were still working...New fuse kept blowing...Bad power suppy...New power supply fixed the problem.

If you have one, or someone else has a spare power supply, I would swap it out and just test it to make sure thats not your problem...Or if the power supply is 300w or lower, I would go out and get a bigger one..(if your mobo is bad, you will probably have to buy a bigger one anyway for new mobo)

If you have more than 1 memory stick, you can try to eliminate that as a problem.  Take one chip out, and try to boot, and if that doesn't work, swap sticks...Then you at least be able to eliminate that.(or highly unlikely 2 chips are bad)

Have you tried to clear your cmos?  Check your manual for the steps, but normally if you just take the battery off the board(looks like and is basically a watch battery), and leave it out for 5-10 minutes(of course you want to do this with the power cord out)..This should clear your cmos, and allow it to load the defaults...(normally there is a jumper you need to move also, but if you leave the battery out long enough, normally it clears it)...

Then if it does goto bios, enter bios and adjust needed settings(don't forget to reset the correct date in bios, or some programs will get confused with the date, and stop working)

Checked all the memory sticks, cpu, ect..

Forgot to add this to the first post too. I also did clear cmos. This board requires the battery to be removed and a jumper set. But alas, same same same.....

I wish I had a supply to swap out for a test. I have an ATX spare(24 pin), but this one is a Micro ATX (20 pin)

I think what I'm going to do is just go out and buy a new supply. If its not the supply, at least then I will have a spare lol

i would look at the PS, i had a box that was on and when i got home it was off, so i tried to turn it on and nothing, so i unplugged the cord from the box for about 10 seconds and then pluged it back in and  the power light came on for about a sec and then back off, changed out PS and back on it came and running fine everysince. Thats where i would look first, its cheaper and if it is not it, u will always have a backup PS  good luck

Yea it definitely sounds like a power supply issue...And if its not bad, it never hurts to have a spare power supply hanging around...

You might want to make sure the switch in the case isn't bad also...I had a bad switch in one of my cases, but I cant remember what exactly it did, but it was similiar to your situation...If you pulled the cord out and plugged it back in, it would flash on for a split second, then would do nothing....Normally you can jump the leads from the switch(but don't go doing that unless you verify you can with your board)..

http://www.fonerbooks.com/power.htm

Hi, maybe PSU is fault, but i think should look inside case, like i told before fault fan, check processor sitting, remove processor and sink, cleann fins, apply new thermal gel, clean memory and molex contacts, have sure you have a clean PC

voltageman. good point. if the switch was bumped with the chair and jammed in the 'pressed' postion (which is basically just jumping the power switch pins on the board as per atx specs) it may cause it to act that way.

Thanks, I'll check into the switch here in a bit...will post back results either way :)

Hi, maybe PSU is fault, but i think should look inside case, like i told before fault fan, check processor sitting, remove processor and sink, cleann fins, apply new thermal gel, clean memory and molex contacts, have sure you have a clean PC

done before I posted the poll lol, tried with processor out, tried with the old celery processor also