Virgin Galactic announces New Mexico spaceport

ROM-DOS

Virgin Galactic announces New Mexico spaceport

12/16/2005 10:36:58 AM, by Peter Pollack

How cool is this? Having grown up watching the original Star Trek every night after my homework was done, I have just enough space-geek in me to get excited about this sort of thing. Virgin Galactic, the pie-in-the-sky (literally) venture owned by billionaire screwball genius Richard Branson, has announced plans to build a spaceport in New Mexico, with sub-orbital flights beginning sometime in 2008 or 2009.

The facility, currently known as Southwestern Regional Spaceport, could actually become the sixth licensed non-federal spaceport in the US, according to the FAA's Office of the Associate Administrator for Commercial Space Transportation (AST), but it will be the first one devoted largely to space tourism. Space tourism is touted by some to be the doorway to regular commercial spaceflights