Minnesota Update on Stats

oleol

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 1934 Kbps about 1.9 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Download Speed is:: 236 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Sat Dec 17 05:57:33 CST 2005

Bottom Line:: 35X faster than 56K 1MB download in 4.34 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 109.31 % faster than the average for host (direcpc.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-GDJA43T5Q

:lol::evil6:

Hi,

Satelite conections always have much more latency than cable or DSL.

REALLY? Wow I didn't know that. I bet not as much as Dial-UP though. :roll:

Sorry, I don't understand why people like to point this out, if I had any other options, I'd take em, but satellite IS THE ONLY CHOICE for me, and I'm sure, most of the others here that have satellite. It's like you are saying, "you shouldn't have gotten satellite, cuz it has this major latency, my cable/DSL has none" well guess what, no Cable, and I'm about 3/4 mile from the DSL cutoff, so my only choice is satellite.

Not bad, Heck of alot better than dial up-

What part of MN are you in?

West central...near Detroit Lakes. DSL is available, but speed is guaranteed "out the door" (256Kbps). By the time it gets here, it's a much lower speed...copper loss (190-200 Kbps). And DWAY is the same $ so a much better deal. Only issue I've ever had is weather.....oh, and maybe primetime.

REALLY? Wow I didn't know that. I bet not as much as Dial-UP though. :roll:

Sorry, I don't understand why people like to point this out, if I had any other options, I'd take em, but satellite IS THE ONLY CHOICE for me, and I'm sure, most of the others here that have satellite. It's like you are saying, "you shouldn't have gotten satellite, cuz it has this major latency, my cable/DSL has none" well guess what, no Cable, and I'm about 3/4 mile from the DSL cutoff, so my only choice is satellite.

I wouldn't be so sure on the latency part.....dial up here when I had it was 26.4, ping times to various sites were around 250-350ms don't remember exactly. With  any sat you will see at least 650, average 800-1200ms, myself have seen over 3000ms. But yes overall sat is better than 26.4 dial up for most people......even though I have to log on at my mothers house and use the 26.4 at times to keep myself convinced!  :!:

I was getting 300ms pings on my dialup account the other day.

I just got 800ms with my DirecWay, not bad for satelite, but definately not better than dialup.

My ping to yahoo.com returned at 671ms. I have never tested dialup from here.

I was getting 300ms pings on my dial up account the other day.

I just got 800ms with my DirecWay, not bad for satelite, but definately not better than dialup.

That very well might be, however, you've got to admit satellite is at least is faster when it comes to download and even upload, at least some of the time :), I've downloaded updates in a matter of seconds that i simply gave up on with dial up, so that at least is better. It really don't matter how fast the latency is with dial up, cuz most things that you have to worry about latency issues, require faster speeds, therefore it is a none issue IMHO.

But my point wasn't which is faster, it was simply I don't understand why I see post like that everytime someone says "I got satellite internet", why bring it up other than to rub it in people's faces. Of course satellite has a higher latency time than other alternatives, (and according to you, dial up has better latency than satellite, I believe you, won't argue with that) but the point is, if I had access to something different I wouldn't have paid the $, when I could have gotten DSL for $16.99 for the first 6 months, with no install cost. However, I couldn't and therfore my only choice was satellite, and I couldn't afford the $499 for the setup of Wildblue, therefore I went with Direcway (like the orginal poster). And what I meant on it being faster than dial up wasn't about latency it was about actual DL and UL speeds.

That very well might be, however, you've got to admit satellite is at least is faster when it comes to download and even upload, at least some of the time :), I've downloaded updates in a matter of seconds that i simply gave up on with dial up, so that at least is better. It really don't matter how fast the latency is with dial up, cuz most things that you have to worry about latency issues, require faster speeds, therefore it is a none issue IMHO.

I know, when I was stuck on dialup because of snow, I suffered. Even though there are so many problems with Direcway, I'm still pretty thankful that I have that option.