Screwed again

RTB

That new neon-lightened computer decided to give up... leaving me with a lot of homework to do on other, crappier, computers. It starts up, then idles before even getting to the BIOS start-up screen. What the hell?!

I've tried these so far:

Went by every connector I could reach, making sure it was in properly

removed the video card, and tried to go video on-board

fiddled with the RAM, and amazingly got it to work once, with one 256MB stick removed. After that, nothing.

HEEELP!!!

That new neon-lightened computer decided to give up... leaving me with a lot of homework to do on other, crappier, computers. It starts up, then idles before even getting to the BIOS start-up screen. What the hell?!

I've tried these so far:

Went by every connector I could reach, making sure it was in properly

removed the video card, and tried to go video on-board

fiddled with the RAM, and amazingly got it to work once, with one 256MB stick removed. After that, nothing.

HEEELP!!!

Try resetting the BIOS to manufactors defult values, on my mobo i have a switch to do that, read in mobo manual how to do.

good luck

VanBuren :)

There's an issue. I've read through an online manual for what is supposed to be my motherboard, but I don't think I have that option. What else can it be, besides the BIOS?

Edit: Found it in the standard FAQ, trying now.

Edit2: Nothing. It's not the BIOS. AFAIK three options left:

Motherboard dead

Processor dead

Memory dead (both of them :roll: )

If it's all new, I doubt they would be bad already. Since it's freezing at the BIOS, I bet that's what it is. Instead of reverting back to the default, try flashing the most current version on it. Many new motherboards have problems right out of the gate. It sometimes takes up to 2 BIOS releases to get all or most of the bugs out.

If that doesn't work, try all those components you think are bad individually in your other computer. If none of them give you any problems, perhaps it's the mobo. Get an RMA and exchange it.

If you want to, you can try using the jumpers on the mobo to reset the BIOS. You may have to look in the manual, but there are usually three little pins with a jumper that will only fit over two of them. When you move the jumper from the left two to the right two of the three pins (depending on which side you look at it from of course), your bios will be set to the default values it shipped with. This may allow you to start it up and flash to a new version.

to reset bios if your looking for the three pin jumper its usually by the Cmos battery.

Yup. Problem solved.

It was the BIOS, but apparantly the first time I tried to reset it, I was too fast in switching the jumper back.