Does Verizon DSL's Routers have a Built in Firewall ??

OverRunWithSons

I do not have Verizon DSL Yet, but we are thinking about it. The lady told me on the phone they have a Built IN Firewall -- then I visit their site with Q & A's and see this un der Security Questions ..... "We strongly recommend that you install a commercially available firewall (and antivirus) product." Was I given WRONG info? I want to know if the FIREWALL is NOT built in - which FIREWALL product do you RECOMMEND - that works the best with this service. We have dial up now and every firewall we have ever tried to use is a NIGHTMARE. ANd we shut it off. I want to hear everyone's advice about Verizon DSL, routers, Firewalls, etc. Stuff you wish you knew before you ordered, etc. Thanks !

I know the Westell 2200 modem comes with a built in firewall. As far as i can tell, verizon sends out all modems with built in firewalls (atleast my friends got them). They are sending out Versalink modems now and they should have firewalls. Most Routers come with firewalls i think.

As for the firewall, you get free subscritpion to McAfee. Thats a firewall and virus protection (you dont have to have both). Its been great so far. I even uninstalled norton now.

If you were talking about not needing both a firewall and anti-virus, I disagree. If you're saying that you don't need both the hardware and software firewall, I agree, but having both won't hurt.

ZoneAlarm is one of the easiest firewalls I've used. Once you install it, you'll get a pop-up each time a program tries to access the internet. This may be a pain in the ass at first, but you can check the box in the pop-up to remember to allow or disallow that program access so you don't have to worry about it anymore. I'm no guru on exactly how any security software works, but I've seen ZoneAlarm get quite a few good reviews.

If you don't mind paying for an anti-virus, NOD32 is the best out there hands down. If you don't want to pay, I guess get AVG. I don't really have too much experience with or have read too many reviews on free anti-viruses, so someone else may have a better opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

ALL the Verizon routers have NAT, BUT I'm assuming you mean the new Westell Versalink (4 port wired router + wireless + DSL modem all in one). That has the NAT firewall, PLUS the software firewall in it, which causes problems since its ultra-buggy (there are TONS of posts on dslreports about this)

• 4 months later...