best free firewall

raptors892004

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp?dc=12bms&ctry=US&lang=en&lid=dbtopnav_zaav&AID=9754927&PID=1320436

Zone Alarm has a decent free one..

http://www.kerio.com/kpf_download.html

Check out the Free Kerio one...

http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpostfree/download.php

Outpost

Its somewhat a personal preference as to which one is better..I've used all different ones, and still not sure which I like best..

This may be kind of a stupid question but seeing the comparison between the free and paid version of the firewall I noticed that you cannot use Kerio Free on Internet Gateways.. I don't think that this may be a problem, but since its better to ask first, would the firewall still protect me in free mode with my router (I don't think router is Internet gateway  but just in case) :)

who cares, i never used firewalls before on my ME edition and i don't use firewalls on my XP edition and i never got a virus/worm/spyware, or any thing related to fucking up your computer.  I also download off of P2P programs a lot and still no problems.  Its just how smart you are on not clicking ads and knowing what you are downloaded and browsing.

well look at this way, until someone told me a month ago what was spyware i never had it.  Or virus, or worms.  I never use any kind of firewalls, or virus protection.  I know what they are because i disable them.

I am personally using the free mcafee programs for comcast users.  But i disable all of it anyway.  Its just there to remind me to disable firewalls.  Cuz i hate them.  NO USE.

:haha: :haha: :haha: Like we didn't already know that :D

Trust me a lot of people dont

Just a little joke whens the best time for a hacker to release a new virus

well right after the holidays

you wont believe the number of people who get a new pc run it with no protection (even advance users get caugght up in the rush you get from recieving something you wanted and forget all about the neccessry steps you need to do )and 3 months later are calling custumer support to ask why it is not working

Trust me a lot of people dont

Just a little joke whens the best time for a hacker to release a new virus

well right after the holidays

you wont believe the number of people who get a new pc run it with no protection (even advance users get caugght up in the rush you get from recieving something you wanted and forget all about the neccessry steps you need to do )and 3 months later are calling custumer support to ask why it is not working

so true...I've read articles where they tested pcs(on high speed connections), by basically installing windows, enabling the network connection, and not updating it or enabling firewall or antivirus, and within like 5-10 minutes they were infected...

so true...I've read articles where they tested pcs(on high speed connections), by basically installing windows, enabling the network connection, and not updating it or enabling firewall or antivirus, and within like 5-10 minutes they were infected...

That's not realistic.. Unless they immediately downloaded an infected file via p2p or went to a scam/fake website which they already knew the address to then I could believe they could be infected within 5-10 mins.. No way they could be infected within that short interval of time with random attacks from hackers/spyware/botnets from random websites/IPs.. I bet they went to a scam site on purpose in order to get that infection.. And what were they infected by? Because spyware is so easy to get :D