Deleting Index.dat files in Windows XP..I created a batch file that really works

Sharky2006

....I use a bunch of freeware programs including some stuff that I found on the web and created this batch file that deletes all index.dat files while windows is running.  Here are the instructions...

First download the following freeware programs...

Cleanup

Freeram XP Pro

MRU Blaster

Pagedefrag

Also, (very important), go to Start>Run and type the following:

Cleanmgr /sageset:99

then press OK.

When the Disk Cleanup Settings appears, place a check mark ON EVERYTHING THERE...then click OK.

Then...go to this website and download the tool...

http://www.arstdesign.com/articles/index.dat.html

Then...save the tool and create a folder in the C drive where you want to save it.

Then...Take the following steps to Killing all processes except explorer.exe that is in that website.

Killing all processes unlocks index.dat files. Since killing explorer.exe might produce undesirable effects depending on your configuration, it's best to not do it. The script that comes next will take care of that.

To kill a process, you need to type kill -f [pid], where [pid] is the process identifier. In the example above, you would type kill -f 1104 to kill svchost.exe if that is the PID for that process.

THEN FINALLY create a batch file in Notepad and save it in that same folder.

The batch file must contain the following (EXACTLY THE WAY IT IS WRITTEN BELOW so you can actually copy it beginning from "pushd." to "explorer.exe" way at the bottom):

pushd .

kill.exe -f explorer.exe

c:

cd

DEL /F /S /Q %TEMP%

del /s /q C:WINDOWSPrefetch*.*

del /s index.dat

CD C:Documents and Settings%username%Local SettingsTemporary Internet FilesContent.IE5

Del index.dat

c:

cd

DEL /F /S /Q %TEMP%

del /s index.dat

"C:Documents and SettingsAdministratorDesktopCleanup.exe"

"C:Program FilesYourWare SolutionsFreeRAM XP ProFreeRAM XP Pro.exe"

cd C:WINDOWS

cleanmgr /sagerun:99

cleanmgr /sagerun:1

ipconfig /flushdns

del /s index.dat

cd %homedrive%%homepath%

DEL /F /S /Q %TEMP%

ipconfig /flushdns

del /s index.dat

cd

del /s index.dat

del /s index.dat

"C:Program FilesMRU-Blastermrublaster.exe"

c:

cd

DEL /F /S /Q %TEMP%

del /s index.dat

DEL /F /S /Q %TEMP%

del /s index.dat

c:

cd

DEL /F /S /Q %TEMP%

del /s index.dat

popd

newindexdat.exe

defrag C:

"C:MyProjectspagedfrg"

explorer.exe

After the "explorer.exe, don't place the line that I placed.  If you have any questions, let me know.  Remember, this is to clean and delete all index.dat files AND it creates a phony index.dat file so Windows XP thinks that a new one was created.

NOTE:  When the Freeware programs load, you do have to run them and when you finish running them, make sure that you just close the program.

NOTE:  With the  "Cleanup" program, go to Options and choose "Custom Cleanup" and check  EVERYTHING EXCEPT "DELETE FAVORITES PLACES/BOOKMARKS" (unless you want to).  Also, when the "Cleanup" program completes its cleaning, you must click the "Close" button, and it will ask you if you want to Log Off....DON'T!  You want the whole batch file to run so you just want to close it.  Some of the programs I have running a couple of times, but that is just to ensure everything is cleaned up.

To cleanup unnecessary files like index.dat files.  These files take up space on your harddrive and this cleans up all of it.  It will NOT delete any thing that you want to keep. 

Doesn't Disk Cleanup do something like that? Crap Cleaner has similar functions but I have never seen anything so extensive in cleaning up Windows :D

Crapcleaner does, but if you notice, with Windows XP you can ONLY delete index.dat files when Windows is closed and you have to be in DOS.  These programs all require a reboot and the way that Windows XP is designed, there really is no proof that Crap cleaner cleaned those files on a reboot.

I created this so that you can run it about once a month (I personally do it once a week) and you ACTUALLY DO SEE THE INDEX.DAT FILES DELETED.

Also, there generally are 3 index.dat files in Windows XP that WITHOUT data still takes 16kb, 16kb and 32kb of space.  Even though this is minimal, if you don't clean it it builds up until your hardrive is too heavy and everything starts running slow.