ADSL Monopoly of TELMEX

Telmex has the monopoly of almost 95% of all ADSL lines in Mexico, it doesnt allow fair competition from foreign companies like Telefonica (Spain), or even independent national startups, as well neither has permitted the arrival of american carriers to provide this kind of services. It really sucks.

the good, the bad and the ugly.

but look at it from this end. if the mexican governmaent hadn't promised telmex a monopoly on high speed connections they might not have made the investment fearing foreign competition with more funding/experience behind it.

i am sure that before they started setting up dsl those that really wanted or needed high speed internet would get a t1 or bigger. with dsl they are in fact damaging that market to some extent.

i have set up dsl and i know that the initial investment to get dsl set up in a telco switch is quite large.

now dsl is available, they are probably working on spreading it out as far as technically possible and the situation is turning somewhat sour because they have no competitor, know that in all likelyhood they will not have one for quite some time and are settling down to recoup their initial investment.

a monopoly sucks, but in some situations you need one to get a technology deployed at all.

• 2 months later...