Computer starts to boot up then nothing happens

RAINMAKA

so my dads friend gave me a computer, its about a 2 year old dell which was better than my 6 year old gateway. so my sister decides she wants a computer and i figure ok get her a wireless adapter and she'll be all set. well low and behold i unhook that computer and put it in her room until i get time to set it up for her and then about  a week later i hook it all up turn it on and something weird happens. the computer boots up like normal, then the windows xp screen loads (the one with the blue loading bar) and then the screen just says no signal but the computer is still running. if anyone can help me that would be great.

i am assuming that their is no problem with the computer itself just with and monitor and or video card. just out of curiosity how much would a new video card cost?

Well that depends on what the pc is for...If you don't play alot of games, you can probably get one for $40-$75...It really depends on what you need it for..Look after christmas, Best Buy and Curcuit City usually have some really good sales...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=28

do u have ne pci-e or agp slots?

i probably know what these are just not by name. i think the pci slots are the white plugs attached to your mother board that you would plug a ethernet adapter to or a usb card. because i had a 5 port usb 2.0 pci card in the older computer but took it out to put in my newer computer.

do u have ne pci-e or agp slots?

i probably know what these are just not by name. i think the pci slots are the white plugs attached to your mother board that you would plug a ethernet adapter to or a usb card. because i had a 5 port usb 2.0 pci card in the older computer but took it out to put in my newer computer.

pci is the white ones and agp is the purple one i dont thik you have pci-e

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=716810&CatId=319

if i only need a pci video card which it is all i should need, the video card i posted about would be fine right?

As long as your board has just PCI, and not PCI-E...(if it has an agp slot, your better off with that instead of pci, unless its pci-e)