Help!! Dell Dimension 4400 has a black screen when turned on

Guest Kilroy44

Guest Kilroy44

When I turn my Dell 4400 on all that comes up is a black screen like their is no video input. Checked the card connection and everything seems snug. It also when looking at the power button seems to have a orange light like its running on battery power or something. The computer worked fine last night but today nothing comes up one the screen.

This is quite urgent so any help would be appreciated

I've had stuff like this happen before when building computers where you cant get any video. Recheck your video card is in correctly, make sure the cable from your video card to monitor is snug. Try restarting it a couple of times, usually for me it's just a fluke and once I getting it work it's completely stable. You could have some static electricity so if you can discharge it somehow that might help. So my advice is to tinker with it for awhile and see if by chance you can get it to boot up.

Guest Kilroy44

Ive restarted it multiple times doesnt make any beeps, bios doesnt even come up, and cant exactly tell how much its loading. I lied before it was left on last night and when my dad came back to it this mourning it had a black screen

Do you have another PC, to test that monitor on?

If you have more than one memory stick in the pc, take one out, and test with one, swap etc...Maybe one chip went bad...

Power it down, and remove power cable from it and let it sit...

Feel the heatsink and see how hot it is...(make sure the fan is spinning when you power it back up)

(Perhaps the processor fan went)

If you are not getting beep codes, the video is not likely the problem. That model has a power supply issue that may be your real problem. The way to tell is the power button will blink or be solid amber in color. If this is the case, pull the CMOS battery and let it sit for a few minutes, then replace and try again. If it starts, the power supply is causing the problem and needs to be replaced soon, as it is most likely putting out too much voltage on the +5 side. If it still will not start, it has fail outright. If you determine the power supply is good, the processor and/or the systemboard is bad. I really think the problem is the power supply.

If you are not getting beep codes, the video is not likely the problem. That model has a power supply issue that may be your real problem. The way to tell is the power button will blink or be solid amber in color. If this is the case, pull the CMOS battery and let it sit for a few minutes, then replace and try again. If it starts, the power supply is causing the problem and needs to be replaced soon, as it is most likely putting out too much voltage on the +5 side. If it still will not start, it has fail outright. If you determine the power supply is good, the processor and/or the systemboard is bad. I really think the problem is the power supply.

Unless his system speaker is not connected properly, I have seen this many times, makes diagnosis difficult.

Guest Kilroy44

Thanks for all the replies, swaped the power supplies with a demension 4550 and still didnt power on and I determined the motherboard must have got fried after the power outage, so I just ordered up another computer for my dad since he needed it quickly