What was your first PC(post specs)

amc11890

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm my first.. If you mean modern type then an HP Pavilion with a 433 Celeron A. with 128 MB memory and I think a 12 GB HD.  but the first Computer I owned was a Texas Instruments TI 99-4/A 48K memory, no HD, cassette storage. First PC I ever used was an Apple II way back in February of

1978 -- 2 1/2 months after they were first developed. 

A Compaq Presario from about '98.

AMD K6-2 400mhz

128mb pc100

12gb HD

DVD drive and a ZIP drive(Never used that).

Top of the line at the time, the whole package including the 15" monitor was about $1200, ouch!

Still running in my room though, the Zip drive was ripped out a long time ago and replaced with a CD-RW drive. I also upgraded to W2k from 98 recently, and finally added a stick of 128mb ram.

I have played with a couple of old Texas Instruments and even a few old Apples (school in the 80s).

But this is about PCs.

After attending computer classes in 1999 I built the following machine.

AMD K6III 400MHz (OCed to 500, K6IIIs are TOUGH and FAST, benchmarked higher than an 800MHz Pentium III)

Aopen AX59Pro MoBo (rock solid)

64MB PC100 SDRAM (shortly updated to 128MB and then 256MB, RAM was expensive in '99)

10GB Fujitsi ATA66 Hard Drive (still use it for small backups, going strong, too bad Fujitsu is now defunct)

Nvidia TNT2 M64 8MB AGP (operational but currently in drawer)

Aureal Vortex 2 Sound (still in use)

15inch CRT monitor (had to be replaced 6 months later)

Bootleg copy of Windows 98 (first edition)

Lots of bootleg software

-----------------------------

My friends dad still runs the MoBo and CPU till this day to bootleg Karoke disks (blah).

Ouch!  Oh man, this made me laugh and cry at the same time.  :haha::cry:

I'm sure it was an HP with an i486 DX-33 and 32MB of Ram ~ lol . . .Strange thing is, I don't think it came with that much ~ I must have upgraded!

God ~ the prices back them!  :shock:

What was it? ~ I think Windows took something like 3-6MB or was it 12?

. . .and the hard drive was 20MB ~ upgraded to 40MB! and I don't think I ever got close to filling it! ~ lol  :lol:

first comp was a commodore c16+4

ca. 1986

first ibm compatible was a 286-12MHz, 640K ram, 256K VGA, 14" Color Monitor, 5.25 floppy (HD), 48 MB Seagate SCSI HDD (5.25" Full Height internal, 28ms random access), 9 Pin epson printer.

quite the rig for about 2200 dollars in 1989. about the third of the price of a small pickup truck.

My first comp was an old TI 99/4A with the speech synth addon.

My second comp was an old IBM AT portable computer (40lbs., size of a large suitcase) with 256Kb mem and an 8086 processor. It had dual 5 1/4 drives, no hard drive, built-in amberchrome screen, and a flip-down keyboard. The video card did have a CGA out for a color monitor.

My first comp was an old TI 99/4A with the speech synth addon.

My second comp was an old IBM AT portable computer (40lbs., size of a large suitcase) with 256Kb mem and an 8086 processor. It had dual 5 1/4 drives, no hard drive, built-in amberchrome screen, and a flip-down keyboard. The video card did have a CGA out for a color monitor.

COOL!

One of the laptop precursors.

Good ol TI 99/4A, used to spend days coding simple pictures and music notes on them (had 2-used).

Damn are we old or what?