Can't Install Game due to 16 bit error in Windows XP

rotoruda

16 bit Windows Subsystem

C:WindowsSystem32|Autoexec.NT.

The system File is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsft Windows Applications.

This is the "error" message I get when I try to install a game called Leisure Suit Larry. I tried installing from DOS, but that doesn't help, either. Does anybody know of any tricks to make this game work on Windows XP? I'm sure the 32 bit XP is the cause of this problem.

Do you have XP on 2 different harddrives? If you do just go into the one with your old xp on it.. D: or whatever it is a copy the file "WindowsSystem32|Autoexec.NT" and then paste it into you newer XP "C:/WindowsSystem32|Autoexec.NT" and tada should work..

If it don't its worth a try.. :D

The outside of the box states these games are for WIN 95 / 3.1 with a minimum requirement of 486 or higher, 2X CD ROM, 8 MB RAM, 5 MB of free HD space,, 256 colors, VGA and mouse. There is an MS-DOS CD (MS-DOS 5.0+) also included (2 CDs total) with the same requirements. I'm not sure if this is the most updated game or if it's 32 bit. I tried the MS-DOS CD and got the same error message as before. This is called the "COLLECTION SERIES" with 5 full games included. I have a gut feeling that this won't work with XP. I do have 2 hard drives, but my OS is on C: and I use D: as a backup only. I may just have to return this to whom I purchased it from.

Wingzero, I can't get passed the original install screen. I get one screen asking if I want to continue the install and then "BOINK!!" ....... the error message pops up telling me where to go and how fast. In other words, I haven't even been able to do the install yet. I appreciate all the help, gents. I did try that compatability trick on the SETUP.EXE file on the CD, just in case I could fool my machine that way, but with no change. I actually tried all of the modes that XP allowed me to try. I just feel that there is something I'm missing that may let the computer play in 16 BIT mode. I'm going to keep checking troubleshooting and help to find the crystal ball.

Thank you for the suggestion. I have given the game back to the person I purchased it from and have moved on from there. I've already got the "modern" Larry game for 32 bit that actually works with XP. A person can just try soooooooo many ways of making a square fit into a round hole, ya know? :wink: Take care.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
:lol: Glad it worked Rotoruda. Like I said in previous post...it almost drove me nuts until I found the fix. Still lots of folks out there that are having the problem. You can help me and the other guys keep an eye out for those folks looking for the fix. It is particularly handy for those folks (like me) who doesn't have their operating system cd.