U.S. fiber-enabled homes double in 2004

just-

The number of homes that can get broadband Internet through ultra-fast fiber optic lines more than doubled from last year, according to a study.

As of October this year, the number of homes that can subscribe to fiber optic services jumped to 413,000, up from 180,300 from the same period in 2003. Of them, 146,500 were subscribing to fiber lines, up from 64,700 from the previous year.

The study, conducted by industry marketing research firm Render Vanderslice noted that Baby Bell phone giants such as Verizon Communications, independent phone companies and municipal efforts were the main builders of these fiber networks.

Fiber optics is considered a powerful pipeline that can serve data at the rate of 100mbps. Since fiber lines carry packets of digital information, they can handle multiple digital video streams, high-definition TV, Internet phone service and fast Internet access

How the ****....... I swear that can't be right if we are talking about the whole U.S. If it were only 413,000 for the whole U.S. that would be ridiculously sad. ****, I think 200,000 people in Omaha could get fiber optic connections is they wanted to. Maybe I'm just an idiot :D .