Ping times and upload speeds not so great (comcast 8000/768)

Hi first let me say I am really pissed off about something. It's like everybody I see online has access to amazing connections, with 1mb+ upstream speeds and in some cases 10mb+ (fiber), and insane download speeds (20-50mb) all for like $50 a month. I would KILL (literally) to get an upload speed of 1mbps or more. :evil3:

Hell these guys with 10mb uploads can basicly host a 32 player UT2004 onslaught server with no lag, and here I am with my little 768k line (which I dont even get 768k). It pisses me off so much  :angry5:

Anyway this brings me to why I'm here. I have the 8000/768 comcast cable. Here are my speed results:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 8854 Kbps about 8.85 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1081 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 2)

Test Time:: 2006/08/12 - 2:15pm

Bottom Line:: 154X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.95 sec

Tested from a 12160 kB file and took 11.25 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 63.51 % faster than the average for host (comcast.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-4MJG1L6IV

User Agent:: Opera/9.00 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en) [!]

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Upload Connection is:: 603 Kbps about 0.6 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 74 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 2)

Test Time:: 2006/08/12 - 1:44pm

Bottom Line:: 11X faster than 56K 1MB Upload in 13.84 sec

Tested from a 1013 kB file and took 13.75488 seconds to complete

Upload Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 42.55 % faster than the average for host (comcast.net)

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-P2DIUMSRT

User Agent:: Opera/9.00 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en) [!]

Now, I host a dedicated quake 3 server and as you might guess I am very constricted as to what I can do because of the crappy upload. Anyway I dont really have a problem with the download speed, but with the upload speed, when I used to have the 6000/384 comcast service, I got an upload speed much closer to the advertised rate. I would always get 374, only 10kbps off from 384. But with the 768k upload, it is much different. I usually get around 600-605, the highest I have ever seen is 614 but I have not seen it that high since. I am 168kbps off from what they advertise this time, so I called them and they sent somebody out and they said my signal is perfect and there is nothing wrong.

Well now I am basicly stuck with this. And the other issue of ping. On the quake 3 server I run gameplay is smoother because of the new bandwidth, but people ping at usually around 85 and sometimes 48 and the highest I have seen is 120.

I would like to do EVERYTHING possible to minimize ping times and maximize upstream bandwidth. I don't care if it's even at the expense of some downstream bandwidth.

What should I do?

hey 003 and welcome to the forum :)

I also play some q3, reinstalled it a few days ago, great game :) I play the mod Urban Terror mainly.

quake3 and most multiplayer games using UDP and not TCP protocol, the UDP protocol is faster cos it docent need to send acknowledgepackets, for that less reliable.

we can try to improve TCP speed, thats what this speedtest using.

If you have cablenut installed, open it and set DefaultSendWindow to 64240, now click save to registry and reboot your PC

if you don't have cablenut, download it here http://www.testmy.net/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1013.0;attach=64

VanBuren :)

How would I test the UDP speed? I would like to, because right now I have the maxrate on my server set based on the speed of TCP, but if UDP is higher I could raise the maxrate and make the server better. I'll try cablenut but I cant do it right now because I'm going out for dinner now.

EDIT:

If those speeds in your signature are true then I am assuming you have FiOS and for that I hate you to becasue I can't have it.  :evil3::angry5:

(I dont really hate you)

Ok I guess now I would like to know, is there any way to optimize UDP? The machine the server runs on is dedicated and only runs the server, it dosnt even have a monitor, I control it remotely from my main PC. TCP is of no use to me on that PC.

Also, I NEED to know about how much faster UDP is than TCP, so I can set the server settings accordingly. Would it be safe to assume if you get about 528kbps on TCP (the server PC has a slower TCP for some reason), you will get 725kbps on UDP? I read on google that UDP can be up to 3 times as fast as TCP. I really would like to know what kind of bandwidth I'm working with here. It would be perfect if there were a way for me to measure the UDP bandwidth.

hehe yea my signature shows my speedrecord overseas, i live in Sweden and tested this against Verizon testserver in US.

my cap is 100Mbps down and 13 Mbps up  :twisted:

The only UDP speedtest i know of is Tptest, it only using servers in Sweden, but give it a shot.

UDP speed is usually the same as your cap.

If I go into my cable modem it says my upstream cap is 768000bps and my downstream cap is 8800000bps. That would be 750kbps up and about 8.59mbps up, but on TCP I have gotten higher than 8.59 up, I have gotten as high as 9.04mbps. And it makes me mad that I download at the speed you upload :( How I would kill for an upstream speed like that!

But how can my downstream speed be more than the cap? And the TCP upstream speed on my main PC is about 600-610kbps, on my server PC it's 528kbps and downstream about 6.6mbps. Is there a problem with the server PC? Both are on the same router and modem and both have the NIC set up for 100mbps full duplex.

Would it still be safe to assume I'm getting 725 up on the server PC via UDP? I'll try that test but if the servers are in sweden I dont know how accurate it will be.

If I go into my cable modem it says my upstream cap is 768000bps and my downstream cap is 8800000bps. That would be 750Kbps up and about 8.59Mbps up, but on TCP I have gotten higher than 8.59 up, I have gotten as high as 9.04Mbps. And it makes me mad that I download at the speed you upload :( How I would kill for an upstream speed like that!

But how can my downstream speed be more than the cap? And the TCP upstream speed on my main PC is about 600-610Kbps, on my server PC it's 528Kbps and downstream about 6.6Mbps. Is there a problem with the server PC? Both are on the same router and modem and both have the NIC set up for 100Mbps full duplex.

Would it still be safe to assume I'm getting 725 up on the server PC via UDP? I'll try that test but if the servers are in sweden I dont know how accurate it will be.

well, you cant go faster then the cap, if you hit 9.04 instead of 8.8, you might need to use a larger testfile to get a more accurate result.

assume your UDP speed is 768 Kbps upstream, the test i provided probl not gonna show that speed overseas.