re: SpeedStream 6520 wireless router

razors_edge_

Hi all,

I have wireless router/modem for my Dsl and i need to know is there any way i can change the routers's MTU which is 1500 by default. Would changing the routers default MTU help in connection stability? I had the same model before which i had it replaced as it was dropping speed quite frequently and i had to power cycle on daily basis to maintain the speed. The dropouts werent that big but 150-200 kbps drop fall matters to me, I use wired connection for my Pc, P4/ 2.4 ghz/ 1.2gb ram/160 gb hdd and have win xp2.

If, in my case, changing the router's Mtu canl help in maintaining the speed, how can that be done? I checked the routers config in the setup and couldn't find any setting to alter the mtu value. Since there is no firmware update available for this model, i can't be sure how to resolve this issue.

Pc is free of virus and all kind of malware/virus etc. Hard drive defragmented almost daily thru perfect disk, registry's cleaned, modem is way away from all electrical devices.

What could be the reason? Any clue? I still am facing speed fluctuation but now its not as bad as before .. discussed with bell sympatico's techs and all they had to say was to virus check, cut down software from start up and all ......... the universal guideline for ISP techs for the clients. In the end "snowfall" was to be held accountable for my speed drop. Just want to see if changing the MTU of router helps? Any one having or had situation like this?

Await for any help that i can get, thanks.