help

TwiZ

Yeah I am new here also and was wondering if there is a way to adjust seetings for your NIC card? I have cablenut installed and did that a while back. Before I even knew of this site. But lately I am having issues with speed and I have no spyware or anything like that, I do a scan daily outta satisfaction for myself. I run Norton Internet Security and well I guess thats is! Umm do you have any good hints on how to maybe make an older computer go faster maybe some windows tweaks?

I am running a version of xp that for some reason wont update to get SP2. But was on this computer when I got it. I use this one for goofing and stuff but my othe rone is new and runs windows xp 64 bit and this one wont allow me to install that... amd athlon old skool 1100Mhz.

Anyways if I rambled I appologize. I have now been awake for 52 hours staright :twisted: lol thats my name (the name for smiley... ok I am delusional now  :shock:

hey TwiZ and welcome to the forum :)

If you have a router, set your NIC to 100 Mbps full duplex

If you connect your pc direct to modem, use 10 Mbps half duplex, or 100 Mbps half duplex ( depend on the modem port )

here is a guide how to change it quoute from http://dslnuts.com/tips_tricks.shtml

"Windows 2000 or XP: to change to half-duplex:

* Open Control Panel.

* Double-click Network and Dial-up Connections.

* Identify the icon for your cable modem connection: usually Local Area Connection.

* Right-click that icon and select Properties.

* Under the ethernet adapter icon, click the button Configure.

* Click the tab Advanced to bring it to the front:

* In the Property box, the property name to be selected varies according to model of ethernet card. Examples are: Network Link Selection, Media Type, Connection Type, Duplex Mode, or any similarly-named property which can have Values looking like Auto-Negotiation, or 10BT, or 10BaseT.

* In the Value box, select a value which either (a) explicitly says half-duplex or semi-duplex, or (B) at least does not say full-duplex [e.g. 10BaseT on its own is OK]. If there is a choice between 10 and 100 with half-duplex, choose the 10. Do not choose 10Base5, 10Base2, or AUI.

* Click OK to exit the Adapter settings.

* Click OK to exit the Connection properties. "

If you dont have SP2 installed, use the DSL tweaks in Version 4, MSS 1460

those work well, but dosent give same boost as the Cabletweaks

good luck

VanBuren :)