Download-Test Anomalies

orgel

I'm seeing some weirdness with my download tests:

First, I consistently see a discrepancy between the results when I test using the "main" testmy.net server and when I test using the New York mirrors. For example, check out the results below. These are typical of what I'm seeing. I did the six tests one after the other around 7:00 pm EDT. For each server, I used the largest test-file size available, and I cleared my browser cache before each run (not sure this makes a difference, but what the heck). All results in Kbps. I'm using Firefox 1.0.3 Macintosh, and I'm in Arlington, VA.

testmy.net Run 1:    2691

testmy.net Run 2:    2118

testmy.net Run 3:    2109

MirrorBAF:                3197

Mirror-xyther:            3639

Mirror-REH:              3564

Can anyone shed any light on this? Which numbers should I believe?

The other thing is that it looks like when I run download tests on the mirrors, these results aren't included in my cumulative stats. Is this behavior intentional?

I realize this is a free service, and I'm not really complaining. I'm just trying to understand what's going on.

--David