Sometimes it's fast, then next time it's slow

Pete_2000

I have Verizon DSL service with a Westell 327W box. After tweaking with vanburens_cablenut_settings_version_2_679, I have been as fast as 100% of their average, but after shutting the computer down and re-starting it some time later, I have been as low as 30%.

All the times I tested have been with the same conditions, and no-one else on the network. Just myself plugged into the Westell with my ethernet cable.

I can post the results later, but is this something that others have seen? It seems like a drastic jump in download speed that I suspect it's not related to the PC at all, but I can't think what? Can anyone help?

Thanks,  Pete

Guest helloimtim

From personal experience with dsl and tweaking it made mine do the same thing. It seems with dsl anyway tweaking it rarely has a positive effect. Cable and Dial up are just the oppisite. I would suggest putting your settings back to default . I assume your running xp with all the updates. Xp seems to be pretty tweaked out with dsl. No clue why.

Thanks helloimtim, yes I am running XP with SP2 and all are updated. I tried the tweaks initially because my connection speed seemed to be as slow as dial up although the download test did not show that specifically.

The tweaks did seem to help as not only did my recorded speed indicate a faster connection, pages just loaded faster - nothing but smiles in my house for a few hours, but then it was back to it's old self again next time I booted up.

Can registry settings change ad-hoc? Is it possible that a program is blocking registry changes and re-setting them back to default - Norton, Spybot, etc?

Guest helloimtim

First thing I would do is return xp to default settings. Open up  cable nut delete all the numbers you see in the boxes so all boxes are blank. Hit apply and reboot. I am not sure if this is an option or not. I would consider just reloading xp with sp 2. Nortons products are just garbage and cause tons of issues. I would use the free version of avast and or avg. I use both only I dont let one load during start up. So its up to you. You want to try to fix what you have or just start fresh with a fresh install of xp and sp2. Let me know which way you are gonna go and I will offer more help. I really think you should just get a fresh start with xp sp 2 and start over. Let me know and will offer my best advice I can. Been there done that countless times. Later.....