Need Some Help Setting Up A Wireless Connection

al244

Ok, so I just got Cox Cable and now I want to share that connection with other computers in my home. I have a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router With 4-Port Switch.Umm it says 2.4GHz and 54 Mbps on it too, but I'm not sure what that means. :roll: Ok, so here's the problem. When I insert the installation CD into my CD-ROM drive, it won't detect the router. At some point of the installation, it'll say "Unable to Detect Router. Please make sure the Router is Connected to the PC." But it is. Actually, the wireless conenction is already set up. My laptop can detect it, and connect to it. I just want to get further into the installation to set up set up security to keep those stupid neighbors out! I mean when I connect to their wireless I get like 300Kbps download (SBC YAHOO DSL I think,) and when they connect to mine they can get this:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 5897 Kbps about 5.9 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 720 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server2)

Test Time:: Sat Aug 27 2005 09:49:10 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Bottom Line:: 105X faster than 56K 1MB download in 1.42 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 56.25 % faster than the average for host (Cox.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-PEFVT0WCA

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 1684 Kbps about 1.7 Mbps (tested with 1496 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 206 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (server1)

Test Time:: Sat Aug 27 2005 09:53:51 GMT-0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Bottom Line:: 30X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 4.97 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 222.61 % faster than the average for host (Cox.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-JE3D8GPB4

:lol: For some reason that's faster than my non-wireless connection.Yeah the CableNut tweak brought it up about 3Mbps in download! So I was wondering if there is anyway to get further into that installation or if there is another way to set up security. Can anyone help? Thanks.

is it hooked up to the pc via cable?

might be neccessary. also, there is usually an html config page on the router, for example 192.168.2.1, check the manual for the ip. try browsing there. it might not work yet though since the setup routine might need to set the password first time.

follow all the steps described in the manual again, making sure you use the type of connection recommended etc. if that fails, holler back. good luck.

is it hooked up to the pc via cable?

might be neccessary. also, there is usually an html config page on the router, for example 192.168.2.1, check the manual for the ip. try browsing there. it might not work yet though since the setup routine might need to set the password first time.

follow all the steps described in the manual again, making sure you use the type of connection recommended etc. if that fails, holler back. good luck.

As far as one connection being able to detect it and another not being able you are going to need to provide more info on that.

For security stuff.. type 192.168.1.1 and then you should be able to get onto the web based router config..if this is your first time using this web config and you have not set a password then leave the user name blank and the password should be admin..

here is a great guide from linksys on how to do everything!!  http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=759&p_created=1084220985&p_sid=-q8v85Oh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTc0JnBfcHJvZHM9MSwyMCwwJnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0yLjIwOzMudTAmcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3NjZl9sYW5nPTEmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=&p_topview=1

I would recommend using wpa instead of WEP which they use in the guide.. also make sure that you diable the ssid broadcast after you have all of your clients up and running! 

Hmm. I can't seem to get this to work. I'm following the guide perfectly, but as soon as I add security (I'm using WEP just for now because it includes it in the guide and its more newbie friendly,) my laptop isn't able to connect well. It says the signal is excellent, but when I check the packets 0 are recieved. Also I get this balloon saying that "There is Limited or No Connection" or something. As soon as I remove that password it works again. I add it back, and it stops working. Here are a few screenshots.

WEP Disabled:

wirelessbeforewep0ih.th.jpg

Able to browse websites.

WEP Enabled:

wirelessafterwep8cm.th.jpg

Google.com was not found!

Any advice? :D

Lol ok, I'll try WPA after I can get this working at all. Yeah it did say something about aquiring network address or whatever but never "aquired" it. Sorry for not being so good with computers (I'm 13 :evil6:,) but I don't remember entering a network key at all. I don't even know what that is. But, I followed the guide and did everything on the computer that the router was connected to. So no, I didn't do it on the laptop which I'm trying to get connected "wirelessly".

then the network key is the source of your trouble. when you connect to the encrypted network with your laptop it should ask you to enter it. try the following. set up the encryption (wep or wpa shouldn't matter) fire up the laptop, view available wireless networks by right clicking on tray icon or in the dialog for the wireless adapter. select your wireless network.which should be showing limited connectivity and click disconnect. refresh the list of networks and selkect your network, click connect and the dialog to enter key should come up. enter it and go. good luck.