Newbie needs serious help!!!

liamdunning

Hi guys, right lets get started, beacuse this may take a while!

Firstly, about two days ago I recieved a virus through MSN messenger known as the Elitebar/PokaPoka virus (you may have heard of it or even be unfortunate to get it!). As a resuly my computer, mainly Internet orinatated tasks were effected/hampered. My download speed dropped from 350Kbp/s (avg) to around 70Kbp/s (avg).

I was fed up with reading forum posts of how to delete this virus, so simply rebooted/reformated/re-installed windows Xp sp1. I saved all neccessary work onto my 20GB iPod, and went along with it.

Now I have a completely fresh laptop with just the recycle bin and the desktop, and the few essential files from my iPod that are needed (for example network/video/sound drivers). The virus, I can say hands down has been completly removed, so please don't suggest downloading spyware, not because Im sure the virus has gone, but because I already have! lol

My conncection is a LAN as Im living at university. Prior to the virus I was downloading at a happy 350kbp/s. Now, with a fresh system Im only downloading at 180kbp/s. Ive had a crack with cablenut, and that only helped minimally.

However, here comes the confusing part, when downloading from www.microsoft.com, I get download speeds of around 300-400Kbp/s (double my average!). Why is this???

Any help would be much appriciated,

Newbie!

Well, from your point of access, you should realize that about a thousand people are using the line you are currently using, so its only natural that it will slow it down a bit. But 300+-400+ KB/sec range is pretty good for that kind of bandwidth usage. I'd say your connection is pretty powerful to provide that many users that much bandwidth.

Thats about as good as it gets, put a fork in it, and you're done.

-Ray