wireless network problem

Guest PeePs

Ok, this isn't a HUGE problem, but it still bugs the **** out of me. I have a laptop that is always has an "excellent" connection to my router which is two floors down, but I recently built a new desktop computer and put a PCI wireless card in it. It also has an "excellent" connection to my router, but when I'm playing online games such as Counter-Strike I will be pinging fine and everything then every two minutes or so it will totally lose connection for like 1 second. So I'm playing and every 1 second I will get 100 loss and everything will freeze. My ping doesn't just spike up, I'm just totally not connected anymore. I tried playing CS with my laptop and it never experiences the same thing. So basically im about 100 percent sure its my wireless card in my new computer. Someone I was talkign to said if you change some setting it might stop this but he didnt know which one, and i failed to find it on the internet. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to fix this.

Oh yeah, and I've updated my firmware on the router, and i have the most current drivers for my wireless adapter.

Here is the adapter I have

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?item=N82E16833315041

not sure what your exact problem is, but i have a suggestion for you. the router is 2 floors down. is there a way to run a cable from it to the room you use the laptop and desktop in? it might be worth the effort to run a cable from the router to the room and set up a switch there for the laptop and desktop to connect to. this is faster than wireless and also more secure.

i understand your problem and my suggestion was interpreted correctly. you hgave a fixed install, hence no need for wireless and all its headaches. run that one cable, and use a switch in your room for the comp and laptop. (if you have central a/c there is a perfect cabling duct right there...)

I would agree with resopalrabotnick.. running a cat5 to that computer might be the best thing to do..  The other thing that you can try is changing the channel on the router.. I have seen cases that it will say good connection but then drop about ever 3 min for about a sec or so..  I had this problem earlier at my dorm room..  Put my router on ch 11 and the problem was gone..  Download this http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/  and see if there any any other network in the area..  That should help you when deciding on what channel you want.