Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BBA

D-Link DGL-4300 Help

Recommended Posts

I bought a DGL-4300 router and it just arrived today.  I immediately hooked it up and had my internet up and running.  I keep my PC connected directly to the router, using the wireless only for my laptop.  Well, once it looked like I had everything up and running, I went and turned on the laptop.  It found the router but wouldn't connect.  So, I restarted the laptop and the router disappeared from the list of available connections.  I brought the laptop into the same room as the router and still got nothing.  I restarted the router and it appeared again, but only for ~2 minutes, tops.  Then it disappeared again from the list.  What's wrong with this thing that I can't connect to it wirelessly?  For now I'm back on my netgear (WGR614 v3); it's not the greatest but at least it works.  Any help would be appreciated.  If I can't get it figured out, it's going back to newegg for a refund.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are your wireless settings set too? Also is the Visibility Status set on Visible?

I basically left the wireless settings on the router set at the defaults.  It was set as visible.  As I mentioned, I was able to see it for a brief time and actually connected to it succesfully for a very short time, then it just went away. 

There shouldn't be any interference since we don't even have a home phone (cell phones all the time), and at one point I even had the router right next to the laptop.  I have read some reviews where people claimed to have connectivity issues such as this, so I was wondering if anyone here has experienced this problem with this router.  I tried searching for answers a little online but got lazy so I thought I'd just ask somewhere and take a break from the internet... but I keep coming back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had that issue but when I upgraded to the 1.6 firmware it became smooth sailing from their. Also don't use the default settings. Give your wireless network a custom name for example : "BBA Wireless Network", Transmission Rate : 54 [108], 802.11 Mode : Mixed 802.11g and 802.11b, Super G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had that issue but when I upgraded to the 1.6 firmware it became smooth sailing from their. Also don't use the default settings. Give your wireless network a custom name for example : "BBA Wireless Network", Transmission Rate : 54 [108], 802.11 Mode : Mixed 802.11g and 802.11b, Super G Mode : Disabled(if the wireless network card isn't D-Link), Wireless Security Mode : WPA-Personal (Better Security and Performance).

Thanks.  I'll give that a shot when I get home from work tomorrow.  Right now, however, it's time for bed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well crap.  I tried all the aforementioned ideas to no avail, and I got a response from D-Link, where they just quoted the manual, which was absolutely no help.  I guess I'll just return it and stick with my other router for now. 

Looking at various reviews on this router (the D-Link) it seems there were quite a few people that had some issues with the wireless connectivity, whereas others said theirs is great.  Oh well, I guess I was just one of the unlucky. :(  Now to decide what to spend that money on...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a DGL-4300 and had nothing but trouble with it so I just returned it. Instead I got a Linksys RV0041 for wired and connected a WRT54G to it for wireless.

Have you tried updating you laptop wireless nic card drivers? Are you using WinXP SP2? What about falling back to an older firmware?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a DGL-4300 and had nothing but trouble with it so I just returned it. Instead I got a Linksys RV0041 for wired and connected a WRT54G to it for wireless.

Have you tried updating you laptop wireless nic card drivers? Are you using WinXP SP2? What about falling back to an older firmware?

The laptop has WinXP SP2, and the wireless NIC drivers are up to date. 

When I first connected the router it was on Firmware 1.4 and had the same issue, so I updated it to the latest, 1.6, and still got nothing from it.

It's going back, got the RMA number and shipping info to send it back a couple hours ago.  Tomorrow I'll have the router packed up and ready to ship; just happens to be the day I get to take delivery of my new Seagate hard drive... I hope it works...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...