Wireless Home Network

Tomer

Hello everyone,

We just got a wireless home network. b-focus wireless 352+ is the router, and all the other computers are connected via USB to a little stick [WLAN?] to pick up the internet. We have 2 desktops with that, and 1 laptop that already has an internal internet thingy, so it can pick it up without anything.

We were promised 1.5MB from our provider, and on the main computer that is the speed, but on the laptop it's VERY slow, only around 400kbps with the internernal, and a bit more [500-600] when it's connected to card. does that mean the external card is better than the internal card on the laptop? are there levels of cards?

anotther thing, a compueter can be connected to the net via the router in 2 ways: wireless and direct [LAN], right? would a LAN connection on the main computer right next to the router be faster?

thanks

First off.. welcome to the forum!

We were promised 1.5MB from our provider, and on the main computer that is the speed, but on the laptop it's VERY slow, only around 400Kbps with the internernal, and a bit more [500-600] when it's connected to card. does that mean the external card is better than the internal card on the laptop?

My guess is that the drivers are so old on the LAN card, the card that the physical cable plug into  also called a NIC, and that is why you are getting really slow speeds.  You might want to look into adjusting some of the properties of the NIC so that you can get better speeds on the WIRED connection.  Normally you should be able to get full speed on all of the wired connections.  My guess is that you can also get a faster wireless speed.  Again it involves changing some setting of the wireless card.  Normally you should get between 85-95% of the wired speeds.  So you should be looking between 1300-1400kbps on the wireless network.  I get about 80% of my wired speed on my wireless network.

My wired speed is about 20000kbps.  I normally get about 160000kbps or 80% of the wired speed. 

anotther thing, a compueter can be connected to the net via the router in 2 ways: wireless and direct [LAN], right? would a LAN connection on the main computer right next to the router be faster?

Correct, there would be two ways to connect computer in your situtation.  Wireless, using a wireless card, and wired, using a NIC.

If you are going to be on wired there should be no difference in the speed from one computer to another as long as the cable is less than 100meters.  If it is over 100meters then you are going to have some signal loss and the risk of collisions is greater.  If you are seeing a difference check to make sure that the drivers are up todate and you might want to tweak the connection.