Upload way faster than download

Anisaz

My ISP (RDSLink) recently switched me to a FTTH connection I connect to using the built-in WinXP PPPoE software. However the results are pretty weird:

dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-03-31 15:24:39 EST:

176 / 1105

Your download speed : 176 kbps or 22 KB/sec.

Your upload speed is much faster than down.. have you tweaked?

Your upload speed : 1105 kbps or 138.1 KB/sec.

(yes I have tweaked and followed the recommendations)

On www.testmy.net:

197 Kbps or 0.2 Mbps (24 kB/s) download

1346 Kbps or 1.35 Mbps (164 kB/s) upload

The results above are understated though. When downloading from the net I reach a reasonable 90KB/s speed. The real shocker is that on uploading (including torrents) I get upwards of 500KB/s (4Mbit/s)! (the advertised bandwidth of my ISP is 1024Kbit/s). It is interesting to note that the upload reaches speeds above 100KB/s only when there is no simultaneous download.

I would appreciate your help, obviously not to decrease my upload speed  :), but to bring my download speed up to the mark.

The advertised speed of my old cable connection was 1024Kbit/s. In practice, I used to get about 30kB/s upload. This new fibre optic thing is just being introduced to existing subscribers and isn't advertised in their offers.

are you beta testing the new line?  i was a beta tester for speakeasy ISP

Anisaz welcome to the forum.

that is really weared. having a upload that much faster then a download.

Have you givent them a call?

Thanks.

I would like to try solving the problem myself before calling my ISP as they have a practice of capping speed even below the advertised level. If I were to call them they would probably just limit both my ul and dl speeds. Since it seems I already have a good upload speed it would be nice if I could bring my dl speed to match it.

are you beta testing the new line? i was a beta tester for speakeasy ISP

They might be testing their new technologies on humans but they didn't tell me anything about it.