Not satisfied with Charter

xjxncx

Well, I've been getting crappy speed and crappy tech support.  I've got a brand new laptop, and the cable modem they gave me is supposedly brand new. 

The first time I talked to them, they said I had spyware; they said to clean it up and call them back.  That first call took around 45 mins. 

The second time I called to talk to them, I was on the line for an hour and a half.  Then they sent a tech out to my house, and the tech pretty much just said there was nothing wrong with the computer or the modem; there was just a lot of high traffic in the area, and his boss already knew about it, so there was nothing I could do really but call and complain;  perhaps I could get some credit off my bill.  He said he would have his boss call me, but noone ever called.

So, I call again a third time to just try and leave my two cents about them needing to do whatever they can to provide more bandwidth in the area and ask for some money off until the problem is fixed.  Instead, they hand me over to the technical department who wants to send another tech to my house.  Well, the only problem with that is, they can't give you an exact time, just within a four-hour period, and I can't just stay home from work for the internet.  Not to mention I already got away from work one time to come home for the tech guy the first time, and he just wasted my time telling me there was nothing I could do.  So pretty much after the third time I call, he still thinks I have spyware, and he doesn't know what to do except refer the case to his boss supposedly.  The thing is, I know I have no spyware, because I first have their Charter secuirty suite on here, which has F-secure, and I have run spybot s&d, and nothing is ever found.  Spybot usually deletes a few cookies, but that is it.  And whenever I am ever somewhere else utilizing someone's wi-fi, it is as fast as high-speed should be.  This is the test below, and that is actually a decent speed for me.  Sometimes, I go slower than dial-up with a page just hanging there waiting to load.  It says I'm using avant, but it is IE beta 3.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 309 Kbps about 0.31 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Download Speed is:: 38 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2006/07/08 - 2:01pm

Bottom Line:: 5X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 26.95 sec

Tested from a 386 kB file and took 10.25 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 9.81 % of your hosts average (charter.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-5NIB1ALES

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; Avant Browser; Avant Browser; .NET CLR 2.0.50727) [!]

welcome to the ISP world.. it is always going to be your fault.. it is just easier trust me..

The next time you call in ask them what their guidelines are for offering a refund or money for down time..  I know most ISP will not offer it unless you request it.  If they keep hosing you then when you get some one on the phone ask for the manager..  I know comast is greater that 100ms?? or something like that on their local network or no service..

The deal with the techs is pretty standard.. they always want to sent someone else out.. It might be a signal issue.. but since you have already had someone out I am going to guess that it isnt.. 

What package are you on?

• 4 weeks later...

HI guys...just signed up here..cool sight.

I shouldn't be shocked, yet still I am in awe of this post...it's nearly Identical to my experience with Charter.

I hate 'em (not in the literal meaning, but you know what I mean)

They provide horrendous customer service...I have caught them on 3 separate occasions flat out lying to me.

(I know this because I know someone who works there, and they are unaware of my relationship with their employee)

When I had the 500 service, I NEVER (I can't emphasize that enough) had a rating over 300...which is sickening considering even they claim the minimum connection speed for the 500 (max) plan, is "384".

Now I have upgraded to the 3000 plan, and I just now got my highest rating so far at 2040...it's usually much lower.

Wait, there's more.

After 2 yrs of complaining, one C/Service rep said she would upgrade us to the 3000 plan for FREE to compensate me for the previous yrs of nonsense.

However it didn't happen, and when we called to check out WHY we weren't receiving the higher speed yet...they said they had no idea what we were talking about..and get this....when we said "so and so" is the person who promised us the upgrade, they said we don't have anyone working here by that name!!!

I have 2 choices...burn down their facility (I'm kidding) or go DSL because they are the lone cable co around here - no competition.

Anybody have any input on any of this?

Thanks!