Setting up Wireless Network or lack thereof

Rama89

Hmmm, I think the evil dark cloud is upon me. I originally had Dway6000 and had the home set for a wireless network and everything was gravy...well except for Dway. Now I have a new high speed internet via wireless,( Verizon is working through a third party vendor)

When I am hooked diectly to the modem things are fantastic, speeds of 1000Kbps both ways. I set up my Netgear wireless and nothing worked, I got my ISP to come over twice and he recommended to change to a Linksys, so I did. I got the Linksys WRT54g v6( good 'ol Best Buy), still got nothing. Keep in mind that the desktop was set up directly via cable to the router. I had my ISP come out again, they basically changed the modem punched a bunch of keys and said that I can surf fine but cannot upload anything. I asked him to try and run a business where I cannot send photos. He proceeded to punch more keys and got it to work finally!!! I set up the wireless for my laptop and my desktop was set direct.

Then I went and did something stupid like trying to actually use it, the wireless worked for about three minutes then crashed, totally, both wireless and direct. I then shut everything off, hit the resets on both the modem and the router and everything was fine again for about three minutes( roughly)

I then called the ISP and surpringly they said that all the other customers that have wireless are working flawlessly,, with all kinds of routers. He then said that I was on my own and that it must be my problem, I even offered to pay for services and he said he was stumped and can't help me. I told him that it could be fixed and I was going to get someone to help me out and let him know exactly what the problem is and I may not charge him for it.

So here I am... at your mercy. I desperately need wireless and can't get my head wrapped around this. I can answer as many questions as possible but be patient.

dave

welcome to the forum...  I have a few questions for ya...

When the service drops... it is the LAN or is it the actual service?  Like are you still connected to the router or do you also loose connection to that. 

Do you happen to know if Verizon is using any authentication on the wifi.. I am sure that they are but do you know if it is PPPoE?  Like if you were to connect to the modem directly do you have to give a username and password?

If is because of PPPoE... then you can read this and set everything up... I know that Verizon still uses it on their DSL and I think FIOS systems.. http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2210&p_created=1110937569&p_sid=5XfulYfi&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MiZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfc2NmX2xhbmc9MSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXZlcml6b24*&p_li=&p_topview=1

As far as I know, this is a third party modem and they said something about PPPoE and that I didn'y have to worry about it. As far as the disconnect goes, I am still connected to the router, just as soon as I remove the router from the equation everything is hunky dorry. By the way, no passwords are needed to get online.