Registry tweaks for Windows 98 SE

cholla

This is how my Windows 98 SE is tweaked.You need to determine what RWIN ,MTU,&MSS your OS needs to use .Then you can add them to your registry .If you don't know how to get these values you should probably leave your registry alone until you do. :idea: First backup your system before tweaking so you can restore it if the tweaks do not work for you.

I take no responsibility for your system if it crashes.These tweaks will allow you to make some

adjustments to your system if you want to do it yourself.There are programs that will do this for

you.If you use one of these this will allow you to see if the program made these adjustments to

your registry.If you don't like the adjustment a program made you can change it.The program may

back if you don't make adjustments to the program you are using to automatically make the adjustments

for you.Some allow ajustments some do not.Since I can't know what you have installed you will have to

decide what it will take for your OS to keep the settings you want.

hey cholla :)

I see you like it the old-fashioned  way to tweak  ;)

nothing wrong with that, but,  so much easyer to make these changes in cablenut and not in registry

all these settings is also avalible in cablenut, but MTU.....

Path MTU detection is enabled by default so you wont need to change it, unless you get a MTU of 576 with dial-up

and here is the definitions for each setting

http://www.dslnuts.com/9xme.shtml

VanBuren :)

hi VanBuran: I like both ways I tried cablenut I didn't like the way it worked in my system so I uninstalled it.It might work great on dsl or cable.Probably why the site is now called dslnuts  http://www.dslnuts.com/9xme.shtml [www.dslnuts.com] .For my dial-up this worked better & the registry settings in the tweaks can still be used to verify that a program like cablenut actually made the settings to the os.

Then you used it wrong, Cablenut is not made for a specific connection type, the program just make a GUI of your registrykeys that handle TCP.

The name of the site has nothing to do with the program

I guarantee that all settings you add in cablenut adjuster will also edit your registry, but if you like to varify it, just make a change in cablenut and then do a search in registry for eg "GlobalMaxTCPWindoSize" and you will see what i mean...

VanBuren :)

hi VanBuran: maybe I had too old of a version or the one I downloaded was defective.

I know it did not add the "GlobalMaxTCPWindoSize" setting to my registry.This was not even in the registry until I added it.After I found this tweak on the web & tried it.I do not use every tweak I find & would give others the same advice .doing that can crash your system I found this out the hard way.Since my system is working well I probably won't use cablenut but to those who want to use it go for it I admit the problem could have been me.

Cholla

hi VanBuran: Cablenut put some of its settings in the registry that were not there like BSDUrgent that wasn't there before so I must have saved it to the registry.It has been long enough that I can't say for sure.Since I no longer have the setup.exe for cablenut in my system I can't check this out but I remember there was something in the read me text or help about limited testing on dial-up with windows 98.This could have changed with a more current version of cablenut.

Cholla

Hi VanBuran: I downloaded the cablenut & installed it as far as its .setup.exe so I could look at the read me ;then I checked the manual settings but did not save it .Then I checked out my registry .Just installing cablenut wiped out all the tweaks I had in the MSTCP & put what it wanted there.It might have put settings like Tcp1323Opts back in if I had given it the chance I decided not to.I didn't like the fact that it made changes to my registry before I could look at its manual settings & set what I wanted it to change.Uninstalling it even before going any farther it did not return the registry to its previous settings.This was caused only by the setup.exe .Thankfully I had my registry backed up & scanreg restore saved me. So cablenut is not for me.

Cholla