Setting up a 2 computer network

Hello,

Having a problem with networking one desktop with a notebook.  Both computers have Windows XP Pro and SP2 installed.  Trying to get inter-net connection and have both computer seeing each other to share files and the printer.  Initially connected both computers by using the Wireless Network Wizard and got file access, printer access and was able to connect to the Inter-net.  After shutting down the notebook while the desktop was left on, after a few hours with the notebook off, booted the notebook and was able to connect to the inter-net and see the other computer in the Workgroup network, was able to print from the shared printer which is directly connected to the desktop, BUT was not able to access the public shared folder on the desktop as before right after the initial setup.  Got a message stating that the network path could not be found.  One oddity was that when printing from the notebook using the shared printer, it took a longer time before the printer started to start the print job.  Went through process using the Network Wizard and found to have the same results.

The computers are using DCHP method of connecting.  The notebook is also used at my office which is only used for internet access.  I am hoping that the solution to this problem is not having to use "Static Address???" or ip address? 

Am using a Linksys Wireless Access Point Router and a DSL/Modem box

Hope someone can help me by pointing out what i am doing wrong or giving me some pointers.

Thank You!!!

Guest jeffwalker9999

take a look at www.foldershare.com a free application

it does not do printer

I've been using for years hands on and can really recommend it

good p2p application

good luck

or see this url - my notes on the application and the setup of it and useage notes

http://www.geocities.com/jeffwalker9999/invite-to-join-foldershare-p2p-network.html

Hello,

Having a problem with networking one desktop with a notebook.  Both computers have Windows XP Pro and SP2 installed.  Trying to get inter-net connection and have both computer seeing each other to share files and the printer.  Initially connected both computers by using the Wireless Network Wizard and got file access, printer access and was able to connect to the Inter-net.  After shutting down the notebook while the desktop was left on, after a few hours with the notebook off, booted the notebook and was able to connect to the inter-net and see the other computer in the Workgroup network, was able to print from the shared printer which is directly connected to the desktop, BUT was not able to access the public shared folder on the desktop as before right after the initial setup.  Got a message stating that the network path could not be found.  One oddity was that when printing from the notebook using the shared printer, it took a longer time before the printer started to start the print job.  Went through process using the Network Wizard and found to have the same results.

The printing is taking longer because all of the information must be processed by the computer that has the printer connected to it.. Depending on what else is going on with that computer and or network can cause the spool time to increase.

As far as the shared folder..  Make sure that you dont have a firewall up and running..  Windows scans for new shared every 90 minutes or so.  If you are still having issues with the folder not being found I would try and reboot the host computer. 

The computers are using DCHP method of connecting.  The notebook is also used at my office which is only used for internet access.  I am hoping that the solution to this problem is not having to use "Static Address???" or ip address? 

DHCP will work fine... IP addresses have nothing do to with the file and printer sharing in windows.

Thank you ALL for your time in replying to my problems with the subject at hand!

Got the home networking working with all replies taken into consideration.  That File Sharing utility helped immensely and now wondering why it is not used more often in business community...but then...networking and all of it's subtleties i do not know!

Well THANKS again to all for the help!

• 2 weeks later...