I need network help!

esemtee

Okay, I'm not a complete newbie when it comes to networking, but this one is throwing me for a loop. I have a small network in my home: 2 PC's and, sometimes, my Toshiba laptop connected to a Netgear Gigabit Wired switch which is connected to a Netgear RP614 Cable/DSL router. The router is connected to a cable modem through Comcast. The only other item is a NAS which is also connected to the switch. Simple enough.

Now, my laptop I use at work constantly and I have no problem with connecting there. Same goes for my PC at home. When I connect the laptop to the home network, the 2 machines will NOT communicate to each other. I get no response from pings between the machines, but both of them will get a response from my wife's PC, on the same network, separately.  :tickedoff: What gives! I have all IP addresses on the router reserved to the machines I want. I've also made sure there is no IP conflict. I really hope I'm not missing something simple.

Any idea's will be really appreciated!

Thanks! I'm glad to be on here! The only firewall that either machine is using is Windows Firewall. I have a separate box with IP Cop installed on it, but I haven't gotten around to hooking it up yet.

The network at my work is DHCP. Both machines do have internet access. I should have mentioned that the biggest reason for needing my 2 machines to communicate is to use Synergy. I am able to use it between my laptop and my work computer, but not at home.