Wireless Connection

War_Dawg

We have a wireless system set up our house where one cpu is directly connected to the router via an ethernet cable, and the other connected via wireless connection. We have the linksys router and adapter with speed boost. I was wondering how much, if any, difference there should be in speed. Currently the cpu connecting via wireless conncection is running about 1.5 mpbs slower than the cpu wired via ethernet cable. I would post the scores right now, but I really need to get some rest. I will post them if necessary, and help will be much appreciated (if any more info is needed, just ask).

1.5 behind doesnt really tell us much.. what is you speed??  Following the guide should pull you with in 500-1000 of the ethernet speed..  You also might want to see if there are any other networks on the same channel in your general area... this would cause interference which would slow down your net work.. which is a bad thing!! Also any encription that you are running, you should be running either WEP or WPA, will slow down the speeds...  I have found that WEP does more damage to the speed than WPA..  Follow the guide that should take care of most of it.. you also might want to check and see if there is a firmware upgrade or driver upgrade for your wireless card.. I would do drivers before firmware...

Also since you said you had speed boost the router is 802.11g correct? I am unsure at the real world levels for 802.11g but I do know that the highest I've ever saw on 802.11b was 6 MB...although it normally levels out around 5.6 MB so if you are using an 802.11b router and have a 10 MB connection the your speeds are going to be cut in half...also your speed depends on how far you are from your router...

Thx for all your help so far. I went through that checklist and did change a couple of things, but currently I am unable to perform an accurate test due to an unrelated issue. On that note, does anyone ever have this problem... For the past week, whenever I first connect to my wireless connection, the speed is extremely slow for about two hours.

note this speed test just taken

Your connection is: 356 Kbps      (about 0.4 Mbps)

You downloaded at: 43 KB/s

Your TRuSPEED

Yep, that is what it does. It takes about 2 hours usually of being on, then all of a sudden, it will go back to normal. I have in the past restarted the router to no avail. Needless to say, this is a very frustrating problem.

Also, I think it is our provider because the cpu that is connected to the router via an ethernet cable is slow also.

I am not sure it would be a firmware issue.. if it just started happening..  My guess is that it would be the ISP's end..  the way that we could tell is the response time from the comptuer to the router and then the modem..  But a firmware upgrade might be in the next step!

you might want to try a tracert to the ISP's website when it is really slow and then when it is really fast.. then post them... we might be able to help you from there..

Hmm, I thought I knew what you were talking about, but sitting down and trying to do it, I am getting lost  :oops:. Could you maybe explain this a little more. 

find your router Brand and model, then go to the manufactors homepage and find the updated firmware.

like Swimmer said, try bypassing your router and connect your pc directly to modem and see if speed increase

if so you know the problem is in the router.

VanBuren :)

For a tracert... 

Start-> Run-> type "cmd" no ""-> then "tracert testmy.net" exactly.. then post the results..

C:Documents and Settings>tracert testmy.net

Tracing route to testmy.net [67.19.36.6]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.0.1

2    1 ms    1 ms    1 ms  owen-c138-c4507-01-213b.tcom.purdue.edu

3    1 ms    1 ms    <1 ms  erht-5b-c6509-01-4022.tcom.purdue.edu

4    1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  tel-210-c6509-01-4091.tcom.purdue.edu

5    1 ms    1 ms    1 ms  tel-210-m10-01-campus.tcom.purdue.edu

6    3 ms    2 ms    2 ms  gigapop.tcom.purdue.edu

7    2 ms    2 ms    2 ms  192.12.206.245

8    6 ms    6 ms    6 ms  so-2-3-0-0.gar2.Chicago1.Level3.net [67.72.124.9

]

9    6 ms    6 ms    6 ms  so-3-3-0.bbr1.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.68.96.41]

10    43 ms    42 ms    43 ms  ge-0-1-0.bbr2.Dallas1.Level3.net [64.159.1.110]

11    43 ms    43 ms    43 ms  ge-1-2-56.car3.Dallas1.Level3.net [4.68.122.166]

12    43 ms    43 ms    43 ms  4.78.220.10

13    43 ms    43 ms    43 ms  dist-vlan31.dsr3-2.dllstx3.theplanet.com [70.85.

127.30]

14    43 ms    43 ms    43 ms  dist-vlan22.dsr1-2.dllstx2.theplanet.com [70.85.

127.76]

15    44 ms    43 ms    44 ms  dsr2-2-v1.dllstx4.theplanet.com [12.96.160.8]

16    44 ms    44 ms    50 ms  gig1-0-1.tp-car9-2.dllstx4.theplanet.com [67.18.

116.70]

17    44 ms    44 ms    44 ms  6.67-19-36.reverse.theplanet.com [67.19.36.6]

Trace complete.

that is what you should get..