Started out as a video driver problem - Turned into network connectivity problem

jroh_87

Hello, I am a new member to this site.

I am having difficulty on my other laptop connecting to my wireless network. The network's signal strength is strong so I know there is nothing wrong with the router itself.

Anyway, getting to the title of this post, I encountered problems with my video driver while playing a computer game. It stopped responding and switched to my desktop--the resolution was all blown up and the color was pixel-ated--and a notice popped up, something along the lines about a corrupt or missing registry and a video driver possibly needing an update. Upon rebooting, a message appears on a black screen saying to use a recovery console for a missing or corrupt registry and to attempt to repair it. It also had the path windowssystem32configsystem

Anyway, I managed to fix this problem through the Operating System CD for Microsoft XP and the whole copy c:windowssystem32configsystem C:windowstmpsystem.bak

software.bak

-That seemed to fix my problem and get me back into my desktop. But that's when I encountered the wireless problem.

When I try and connect, I get a Limited or no connectivity message followed by

"This problem occurred because the network did not assign a network address to the computer"

In order to fix this I attempted to repair, but it is not able to finish because it wasn't able to renew my IP Address.

I tried to run "ipconfig/renew" in the command prompt but then all I get is:

"No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected.

An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection : An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket."

I checked the Microsoft Support site and followed instructions to:

Export and delete the corrupted registry subkeys

1. Insert a floppy disk in the floppy disk drive of the computer whose registry entries you are exporting.

2. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

3. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesWinsock

4. Do one of the following steps, depending on the operating system:

Sorry for the double post. I screw up. :uglystupid2: You want to reinstall the wireless drivers from the disk you got with the external wireless card or if you have integrated wireless than you will have to go up onto the manufacturer web site and download the drivers you need.