router and hub question

pitbull481

What is the difference between a router and a hub?  I got a Linksys Cable modem (BEFCMU10 ver.2), Linksys  Router (WRT54GS). 

On the router I got this hooked up:

LAN1:  1st computer

LAN2:  Modded XBOX For Media Center ((no i dont play xbox live)

LAN3:  Playstation 2 (play this online)

And last 2nd computer with a Linksys Wireless  Card ( WMP54GS),

A router has a 4or 5 port switch included..  A switch sends information to and from a specific computer toits location..    A hub on the other hand if a computer asks for information and there are other computer on that hub the server sends the information to all of the computers  wether they asked for it or not.. meaning that there is a huge proformance difference between a hub and a switch..  A router on the other hand takes a ip address and creates a lan...  So each computer gets a new IP address and then uses the internet acting like only one computer..  Hope that helps some what.. I cant think of any example to make it easier to understand.. 

Update: the HUB

Ok you have a telephone number.. when some one calls your number all of the phones ring!  that is what a hub does..  if information is sent, the phone call, all of the computers will receive that information..

The router:

Many companies have a phone system.. Where there are extentions, IP address assigned by the router, so when one person picks up their phone they dont have other talking away on their line..  Like wise some one can call in and reach that specific person!  Much like a request for a webpage from one computer..

There that should make it a little easier..

Comcast  Chicago!  I lived in the North West suburbs..  Glad to see that people from my area have found this website!

some of the first routers only had one output port my guess would be..  That would be something like a small business would set up..  Like router to a 12 or 24 port switch not a hub..  That way they could get more computer onto their internet connection... I have a router with 4 port switch built in and then a 5 port switch.. the max number of computers I could have connected would be 7... 4 on the switch and 3 on the router..    What you are going at that point is planning for the future.. if you were going to network you house then I could see the use of switches..  for every port on the router you could get hook up a 8 port switch..  If I have time today I will put it into visio and draw out what I am talking about...

Basically it is a more advanced way of setting up your network.. if you had more computer..

nope..  Nothing that you would see.. it would just provide the option to run 10/100/1000 later..

If you want this is what you would be looking for....  It would be quite an upgrade but I am not sure you would see the difference..  All of the equipment is D-Link and is rated at gigabit

under the gaming console you can either go with the wireless or just the standard 10/100 ethernet connection..