HELP, I have Adelphia (BroadBand) but my download speed is super low?????

funklogic

I been having problems with my computer being slow, I have called Adelphia many times and they have said that it is not the modem it's your computer. Well I tried to fix the problem through my computer but it still remained slow. A few days ago I got an Adelphia Tech to come and check out my connection, since the modem goes off about every 2-3 hours a day. He checked the cables and found out that it was hooked up in a way that made my modem slower, but this still didn't fix the fact that my modem turns off every once in a while.

My major problem is that the tech supposedly got my speed up a little but it doesn't show. This is how I use my computer: I start it and the internet runs pretty good, but from start to about 5 min on the internet in comes to a speed of 30-35 Kbps, and my computer runs slower than dial up. For me to stay on the internet I have to keep unplugging the modem for me to get another 3-4 min of internet until I have to do this over and over again until I am done using the internet.

I have Norton Antivirus, Spyware Doctor, Registry Mechanic (free version) and Registry Fix (free version). The registry cleanup programs only delete a certain amount of viruses, bugs,etc.

And this is basically my problem, paying for high speed internet but having slower than dial-up speed. Can anyone please HELP ME!!!!!

Karl       

USB networking forces a heavier load on the CPU than Ethernet does (Ethernet cards have a dedicated controller chip that does most of the work), so there might be a performance loss in using USB. USB is highly influenced by the quality of the device drivers; Ethernet drivers are more mature than USB drivers. Plus, USB overhead can be extremely slow compared to Ethernet.