Having network connection on computer vs. router

I was having some problems with my connection and couldn't connect to the internet, so i call verizon, and the technical person had me set my connection on my westell's hardware inside the gateway. Do u think this is worse or better than having just the regular network connection on my pc? But really i want to figure out why i really had to change to a connection on my router anyway. I would rather be able to see the info. in my control panel. When i try to connect the regular way without using my router's PPP, my connection in the control panel appears to be normal but it will display wierd numbers and i can't connect to the internet. Has anyone else encountered this before?

Verizon DSL (and its' predecessor BellAtlantic) & WinXP clash together almost as hideously as Ted Kennedy & alcoholics anonymous.

Many Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPoE) clients from third-party vendors will not properly operate or install in Windows XP.

You must use the Windows XP built-in PPPoE client; save the Verizon Install disc for use as a great drink coaster.

There are known problems with the following third-party PPPoE clients:

WinPoET version 2.1a or earlier does not install on Windows XP.

Enternet 300 version 1.34 or earlier does not install correctly on Windows XP.

RASPPPoE does not install correctly on Windows XP.

If RASPPPoE is installed before an upgrade, it must be removed before the Windows XP native PPPoE client is able to work.

Hope this helps-  ;)

JxL