Painfully Slow Uploads on RoadRunner

eblues

After a power surge a couple weeks ago, I had to replace my cable modem (Toshiba PCX 2200) and router (LinkSys WRG54T). Before this incident, I used to get 25-35KByte upload speeds to my music server when uploading with FTP Commander. Since installing the new equipment, I'm getting transfer rates of only 5-10 KBytes per second (barely better than 56k modem!). I have tried uploading to three different servers with the same results. There is no problem downloading... I have seen values of 600KBytes+ while downloading test files from test.tampabay.rr.com (better than the test results from testmy.net).

After replacing the router/cable modem my RoadRunner service was still out. RR's cable techs repaired some problems outside (presumably also from the power surge) and now say the cable looks very clean. They have no idea why I'm getting such slow uploads.

The tests on testmy.net show my Down/Up rates to be slightly slow to average, 400-500KBytes down, 30-35KBytes up. This seems to indicate ther problem is not with RoadRunner (but if the problem is FTP specific, would testmy.net's upload test circumvent this, perhaps because it uses a different transfer protocol?)

My published RoadRunner caps are 5Mbit down and 386kbit up. My OS system is WinXP, and I have Norton Internet Security 2005 installed. I tried disabling Norton, but that made no difference.

The LinkSys Router is wireless capable, however I'm hardwire-connected via a 100Mbit NIC card. In any case, I get the same slow download rate if I disconnect the router and go straight from PC to cable modem, so I don't believe the Router installation is a factor.

Virus Scanner runs automatically every Monday. I have tried using the Cablenut Win2k settings for a normal cable connection, as well as the Vanburen Cablenut settings, both to to no avail. I have run both Ad-Aware and Spybot to clean the pc of spyware. Extended pings (-t) to www.apple.com show average round trip time of 80ms and zero packet loss.

The *only* changes to the system since the power surge have been the installation of the new router and cable modem, and the installation of Napter. I have since uninstalled Napster.

I am out of ideas. Anyone have suggestions?

Hey eblues, welcome to the forum.

The LinkSys Router is wireless capable, however I'm hardwire-connected via a 100Mbit NIC card. In any case, I get the same slow download rate if I disconnect the router and go straight from PC to cable modem, so I don't believe the Router installation is a factor.

What about the upload with the direct connection?

Yes.. Welcome to the forums.. First off I would highly recommend that you place your networking equipment on a surge protector... Next I would try the direct connect and see if you get any faster speeds.. If you do then try placing your computer in to the DMZ.. and re running the test.. Basically what the DMZ is is a place where no protection is offered to the computer... meaning that you dont have to worry about NAT or any of that garbage.. 

10-4 on the surge protection!

Sorry guys, I mis-spoke a bit. I meant to say I get similar/good download times whether I go through the router or via direct connect.  I also get similar/crappy upload times both with the router and via direct connect..

FTP Commander is freeware, and very limited regarding options. Still, it always worked fine before the incident. However, since posting here, I downloaded the trial version of CuteFTP and gave that program a try. My upload rate to my music server have improved, but is still only around 100kbits per second. This is better, but still only about 1/2 as fast as I used to get.

On the other two servers I have upload access to (one of them being my home page space at Roadrunner), upload times are around 220-230kbits per second. These should be closer to 300, but I did these most recent checks in the afternoon, so maybe things were bogged down a bit. I'll do some more testing early tomorrow morning before sunrise.

Changing to CuteFTP definitely helped a lot. But still, even with CuteFTP upload performance doesn't seem like it's quite what it should be. And something definitely changed on the system to cause FTP Commander to start having problems in the first place. All in all...  this is a real strange deal.

The 100kbps transfer rate on my music server is definitely low, but I've got a service request in to find out if perhaps they are coincidentally have issues right now or maybe the upload bandwidth is being throttled on purpose.... they do have a tremendous amount of music files uploaded to their system (Live365.com).

Thanks for your replies.  I still think there's something amiss so any more suggests will be greatly appreciated.