VIRUS OR TROJAN HELP!!!

destructionfever

I recently networked my new and my old pc together. I never had spyware problems on my new pc. I reinstalled windows xp on the old one last night. It still felt like I was running sluggish on the old system still. I downloaded the usual security programs like spybot,spyware blaster, and ad aware. I got the sygate firewall and avast antivirus. This is the same setup as my new pc...I set the old one up this way because obviously my new computer has no issues. I had to uninstall avast because it was slowing the old pc to a stand still.I just mapped the drive on my new pc and decided that I would just scan that drive off of my avast on the new pc. I scanned it and no viruses were found on the old pc. However later I checked back on the old one and it had this messenger pop up telling me I had severe and critical registry errors. It told me to go to a website like regfixup.com and if I x-ed out the window I would get another pop up saying I had a virus and that I should go to another site (similar in name). The pop ups don't stop on the old pc now...though each pop up is either telling me I have severe registry errors or that I have a virus...all the pop up windows are similar. Do I have a virus or trojan guys? Someone please help me. What's a good free antivirus that is low on system resources but will actually get the job done? Someone tell me what is wrong and tell me what to do. The new pc was acting funny a tiny bit earlier but not any popups and everything is normal on it now. Will a fresh xp install on the old pc get rid of my problems? I know my questions seem frantic and jumbled it's just I am freaking out here!!! Please help me. Thanks

Lol, when I installed yesterday it didn't let me reformat. Now with the fresh install today...it let me remove the partition on my drive and reformat. So, I hope it at least makes it close to new. Or I will proceed to beat it with the blunt object. After this problem is fixed...what is the safest way to setup file sharing on my home network? Thanks again.