Netgear WGT624 setup with Verizon Fios

h0b0j0e1

Hey Guys,

I have had FIOS for almost a year now here in Tampa, FL.  Before the installer left I asked him about my wireless router and how I should install it.  He gave me a very simple instruction and said I would be fine.  I said great and left it at that.  Fast forward to now (after a busy travel schedule and my down time), so I go to hook-up the Netgear WGT-624 to the last port of my router and that is where the problem starts.  The light turns on and everything looks hunky dory, but when I actually try to surf the web on that computer nothing happens. I am connected to my wireless router at 108 Mbps, but I still get the "page cannot be displayed" page.  I have perfect signal strength and everything.  I am no computer expert, but I can stumble my way through with a little guidance or a point in the right direction.  Its a two part question I am asking: (1) should I configure the Netgear WGT-624 wireless router to work with the D-link DI-604 or configure the Netgear alone and (2) how would I actually do either one.

thanks for your time.

i am guessing that the wireless router has multiple ethrnet ports and will suffice for both your wired access and the wireless access needs. if that is the case, you need only replace the dlink with the netgear in your current setup, the includsed setup guide (probably available online on their site if needed) should provide a concise list of simple steps to get it up and running. if you so choose you can probably configure the netgear to act not like a router but merely as a wireless access point. this should also be explained in the documentation. in that case you would jack the netgear into one of the lan ports of the dlink and it would act only as a link to the wireless devices. imo that can only lead to problems,  as having the dlink routing for the netgear is not neccessary. (you see i am too lazy to look up the manuals myself. if you're reakky stuck, holler. if not me i'm sure someone ele here has that exact router and will be able to walk you through easiily.)

Thank you for your help.

I finally got my Netgear router working, which for some reason when I tried just switching it the first time it did not work (hence me posting the question).  This time I went through the Wizard.

I now have another problem now.  For some reason my newsgroup download speed is horrible.  I am downloading headers at 40KBps max (and that is the TOP peak).  It was a little faster before with the dlink, is there a reason for this.  I use Newsbin Pro and I download about 6 tabs and get a peak download of about 2MBps.  I know there are many different things to take into account, like time of day and such, but is there maybe something I can do to make sure I am getting the max outta my end?

I have a 15/2 connection with Fios, so I guess it should be fast.

Thanks for all your help

• 3 weeks later...