After tweeking download rate down to 78kB/s

Stratigamo

Well i decided to try to get the best out of my dsl connection(verizon 1.5mbs). Before i tweeked the tcp/ip settings i had a consistant download rate of 183 kB/s now its 70-80ish never going past 90. im not sure what i could have done to destroy my connection, lol. This has been going on for a few days now and im at my wits end.

It all started when i ran doctor TCP and changed my rwin to 63000ish as recemened by speedguide.net. I did this and after i rebooted my connection got fried. i tried downloading cablenut's tcp/ip fast dsl template and installed n rebooted. got my connection to 230kB/s !!! i couldn't believe it. i retested 5 times just to be sure and it averaged 190. I turned off my computer and instead of having it connected directly to my dsl router/modem, i connected it to a hub because my brother came over ot play games. wellll, i didn't change any of my settings and my speed reverted back to 80ish kB/s. i couldn't believe it so i went back and reconnected my nic cable directly into the router /modem agian...no effect same low speeds. i don't get this at all. tried many times with many different things up to and including nuking my internet connection in network connections and reinstalling it. no effect. ive tried everything. Oh and another thing. It seems as though my PING (or responce time) has gone from 30-50ms up to 150-180 ms when i ping my static ip address. So yea internet surfing speed has gone down when i click on a link to load up another page it takes a few seconds to connect to the new server....sigh.

heres some stats i would really apperciate ANY and all help i can get :(

TCP options string = 020405a401010402

MTU = 1484

MTU is somewhat optimized for broadband. If you're not on a PPPoE DSL connection that limits packet size, consider increasing your MTU to 1500 for optimal throughput.

MSS = 1444

Maximum useful data in each packet = 1444, which equals MSS.

Default Receive Window (RWIN) = 34848

RWIN Scaling (RFC1323) = 0 bits

Unscaled Receive Window = 34848

For optimum performance, consider changing RWIN to a multiple of MSS.

Other values for RWIN that might work well with your current MTU/MSS:

508288 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 8)

254144 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 4)

127072 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 2)

63536 (MSS x 44)

hey Stratigamo and welcome to the forum :)

it migh be a damaged cable between router/modem and your PC, try replace it and make sure they are well connected

in your NIC, set it to 100Mbps full duplex

also powercycle that router/modem leave it off for atleast 30 seconds

http://www.testmy.net/s_engine.php?type=comp_id&q=64346064356&affch=1

VanBuren :)

Hello VanBurn, and thanks for the welcome.

my router is setup on full duplex

don't know about the cable, i guess it could be damaged i'll try swapping it out in a sec.

and yea, i power cyled the modem multipul times.

heheh look at the link now...i just downloaded at 30ish and 77ish in respective tests. I think this might be a congestion issues because my speed seems to go back up later at night. I'll test this tonight to confirm. anyway here is a lil snip it from inside one of my router's status screens:

MTU 1540

Interface Type 1

Interface Description PPP CONNECTION

lol why the heck is my mtu set at 1540 inside my modem, but 1492 in the software (registry). If you want to see any more stats from inside my modem let me know.

Heh i found the problem, and unfortunetly its nothing to do with me. I cruised over to DSL reports into the verizon boards and lo and behold about 15 other people are having the same issue in the Maine area. looks like the entire state is having problems and verizon isn't even acknowlaging the issue. oh well looks like GSI broadband is incoming.