If it quit raining why is it nit on yet?

tommie gorman

;) :haha:Just remember a little tidbit that some people might not have figured out yet that helped out a whole lot!! When I first got my d-way it rained one night and I lost all transmissions. I called tech support that night, they said they would send someone out the very next morning, they came as promised. Before they got there, I got a wonderful idea after looking at dish the from  the ladder and noticed that the little window on the nose was half full of water so I decided to relieve it of the water. I went up the ladder armed with a sewing needle and punched two little holes in the clear window to allow water to escape. Went downstairs and low and behold it had started working. When installer showed up he said that was a fine idea. and he had no problems with that. so when it rains I only lose transmissions till it quits, not all night and till whinever!!Hope this helps someone not as lucky to hit right solution so easily!!!

I don't think you're supposed to puncture the feedhorn at all. Had you broken the clear plastic window, you would have to order a whole new transmitter set. You might see a lot of problems in the summer, especially if some critters get in the holes.

Then how do you keep the water out of yours, any other suggestions/

Make your own weather cover.  If you have a bigger dish (.98m or 1.2m) like I do, it's a snap:

1. Get a bottle of pre-mixed window washer fluid. (I'm not kidding).

2. Cut off the top, so when you're done, the open end is the same diameter as the closed bottom.  Peel off the label, unless you don't mind your cover looking on par with a cool-whip-container-turned salad bowl.

3. The open end is now the exact size as to be a perfect fit over the feedhorn, so remove the  feedhorn/trans assembly as one unit, and CAREFULLY secure it in a vise.

4. Slide your homemade cover over the feedhorn.  No need to slide it on very far, just enough to where it overlaps by 1/4 of an inch or so.  Make sure it's level and true...not on at a weird angle.

5.Secure with an unbroken bead of caulk. I used a $1 tube of bath white caulking.

6.When dry, cut a 3 inch long rectangle shaped opening out of closed end.  Cut this so that when the feedarm is re-installed, this vent hole is centered side-to-side, but on the bottom end of the cover.  This does 2 things: (1) allows water to drain out that might be driven inside by a strong gale. (2) keeps condensation from forming on your cover by keeping equal the temps/dewpoints inside and outside the cover.

7.Re-install your feedhorn/trans assembly.

Mine's been like this from day one.  No loss of RSL, and keeps everything protected in wind,snow, and rain.

And yes, I have been called anal-retentive before, as a matter of fact.