Dell 4400 starts up with black screen then boots into windows xp

Guest Kilroy44

Guest Kilroy44

Had to questions here. I got a dell 4400 working that i thought had a fried mother board and put windows xp MC yet it starts up with a black screen with a blinking line and then boots into windows. Instead of booting up with the Dell Logo and etc so there is no way to get to bios. Also i can download window updates yet everyone fails to install

help?

Have you installed Avast antivirus lately..? & if you did, did this black screen happen after installation, as this is a known bug in the worthless freeware known as 'Avast'. It conveniently modifies the boot.ini file sometimes....

You probably have one of several virii, reginv.dll and winkey.dll trojans will cause these problemmos. Being memory-resident, they are not easy to remove. Could also be a variety of the Prorat virus...

The 4400 has very limited if any BIOS settings, due to onboard everything. Try that BIOS download for sure on the previous post ...it is from Dell so that is the best bet so far.

-JxL